Public Policy, Senior Manager
Los Angeles /
Finance and Operations – Finance & Operations /
Subject is an educational technology startup looking to disrupt this generation's classroom experience. Backed by Kleiner Perkins, SoftBank Opportunity Fund, Owl Ventures, and others, our rapidly-growing LA-based team is empowering a global community of students with access to on-demand, delightful learning that truly engages.
Our cinematic, short-form videos are tailor-made for today’s young learners, who grew up accustomed to the best of consumer media and technology. We also obsess over our product, which includes a robust learning management system, an administrative/teacher dashboard, an interactive community of thousands of learners… and much, much more.
Our tight-knit team is committed to moving with speed, taking calculated risk, having an ownership mentality, and serving students above all else. We value positivity, authenticity, and empathy.
We are racing to re-imagine the possibilities of classroom learning. Apply now to learn more.
A future where anyone has access to any opportunity.
Deliver a frictionless education platform that empowers learners, educators, and administrators.
Our Values - Radical Transparency
We are an in-person culture - we look forward to building great products together as a team.
Team not Family - We are a team, not a family. Like a team, we prioritize versatility, not letting your teammates down, relentless work ethic, and the ability to get the job done. Unlike a family, love is not unconditional, and the low performers will not be kept around.
Speed is Our Trademark - We value speed above all else. We fully support teammates making mistakes by prioritizing speed. Speed of iteration beats quality of iteration. Always prioritize integrity.
No Job is Beneath You - No matter if you are in the C-Suite or an intern, every job that pushes the company forward is a worthwhile task. Embrace every task as a chance to add value.
Education Obsessed - We are obsessed with providing students, educators, and administrators with the best learning experience possible. Learning success is the mission of this company. Prioritize user experience always.
Airport Test - Would you genuinely love spending 8 hours alone with this person? We value the airport test as a true test of likability. It is important to enjoy each other as human beings, and provide a safe space to make mistakes, take risks, and build an iconic company together.
Be a Gritty Optimist - Have a get things done attitude, always find the positive in every negative. We need emphatic belief in the Founders and the mission in order to accomplish the impossible, which we will do best together. Blame yourself for mistakes rather than blaming others, encourage one another to take risks and be solution oriented.
Leave a Better World than You Found - We are building product to impact at mass scale, with the intent of impacting millions of learners around the world. We don't consider a task complete if it's not maintainable, well-documented and scalable.
Well-Being - Your physical and mental health, as well as your family, come first above all else. Life is more important than the company. We are excited to help you live the most fulfilling, high quality life possible.
About the Role:
The Public Policy Senior Leader is a newly created role at Subject. This role reports to the CEO and will operate out of our Headquarters in Beverly Hills, CA.
- Work cross-functionally with Marketing, Product, Sales, Operations, and team leaders to develop, refine, and amplify Subject’s narrative and drive brand awareness
- Identify, anticipate, and advise team leaders on legislative developments and risks and opportunities in the areas of high school, online/asynchronous learning, and education, ed-tech, and more
- Be responsible for public relations initiatives as required to promote the organization’s values, plans, policies and interests
- Develop work plans and plans of action for Public Policy consistent with the organization’s Strategic Plan
- Build and cultivate relationships with stakeholders who will help build the credibility of Subject with key stakeholders including district leaders, teachers, policy makers and influencers, investors, and, of course, government officials
- Support the CEO and President with external engagements including preparation of materials, presentations and speaking notes as needed
- 5+ years of Public Policy or Government experience
- Worked with hypergrowth pre-Series C startups
- Demonstrated bringing in $10M+ in B2B revenue as a result of your political partnerships and GTM strategy
- Demonstrated success in crafting compelling narratives and pitching media
- Authentic, persuasive and inclusive leadership with a track record of developing a highly skilled, collaborative and influential team
- Prepared, reviewed, and edited memos to brief Company leaders on strategic business building
- Excellent government relations skills
- Outstanding writing skills and to distill complex policy issues into simple explanations and compelling messages
- Prioritization and multitasking skills
- Exercise sound judgment and discretion
- $140,000 - $180,000
Subject is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a workplace that amplifies, nurtures, and empowers unique identities and experiences. We strongly encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds.
For individuals who require an accommodation during the interview process, please advise your company contact.