San Francisco, California /
Writer team /
Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 100,000 people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers are making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.”- Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
"Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.”- Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. By respecting the readers' time and intelligence, it earns their trust. It helps us make sense of, and change, the culture we live in. Building a better business model for writers means more great writing.
It’s also a big opportunity.
We're a team of writers and builders from Kik, Instagram, and some of the world’s top publications. Our investors include Y-Combinator, founders of Twitch and Zynga, and most recently Andreessen Horowitz.
The team at Substack is a small and eclectic group of people who care deeply about creating a sustainable business model for great writing.
We are looking for someone to embody the “Substack voice” and extend it throughout all the work we produce. You’ll help us maintain a consistent editorial brand, figure out how our growing body of written and visual work fits together, and create more of it yourself.
You are a thoughtful observer of the world and a master of picking the right medium for the message. You enjoy working cross-functionally, whether it’s with Partnerships to produce marketing material, Community to create writer resources, or Engineering to craft product copy.
This is a full-time position that will be remote through at least January 2021 but ultimately based in our San Francisco office.
What you'll do
- Create content for our blog, resources, and website. There’s a lot to do!
- Experiment with new forms of editorial and develop creative ideas for us to try
- Unify and maintain consistency in our company’s voice across our editorial properties, whether it’s our blog, product, documentation, or resources
- Deeply understand our writers’ behavior and motivations, why they write on Substack, and what they need from us
- Track and measure the impact of your work, and adjust your strategy accordingly
Who you are
- 3-5 years’ experience working in editorial, content strategy, or similar
- Strong empathy for writers. You’re obsessed with figuring out what makes them tick and how to craft a message that resonates
- High standards for your work. You’ve got good taste, with a meticulous eye for detail
- Adept at thinking across different forms of media (video, audio, written content), with a can-do attitude to figuring out how to get it done
- Both creative and strategic. You can articulate why you do the things you do, and you’re not afraid to course-correct
- You can adapt your voice to different audiences, whether it’s our top paid publishers or a new writer who’s just starting out
- You’re self-motivated. You enjoy setting deadlines for yourself and take pride in a fast turnaround
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment