Head of People
San Francisco, California /
Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 250,000 people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.” – Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
"Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.” – Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. By respecting the readers' time and intelligence, it earns their trust. It helps us make sense of, and change, the culture we live in. Building a better business model for writers means more great writing.
It’s also a big opportunity.
We're a team of writers and builders from Kik, Instagram, Tesla, Quora, GitHub, and some of the world’s top publications. Our investors include Y-Combinator, founders of Twitch and Zynga, and Andreessen Horowitz.
Head of People
At Substack, we’re building a better future for writing, because we believe that what you read matters and good writing is valuable. Our team is an eclectic group with experience from across the technology industry and with a deep interest in reading and writing. We’re hiring a Head of People to help nurture and sustain our culture, to help everyone feel challenged and fulfilled at work, and to set us up for rapid organizational growth. We’re looking for someone who is experienced in HR and combines an ability to lead with eagerness to do the work an early-stage company needs to build a foundation for future growth. This is an important role at a formative time in Substack’s evolution – the Head of People will set a tone and example that will be followed for many years to come. This full-time position will be based in our San Francisco office.
What you’ll do
- Help plot Substack’s organizational growth
- Act as a thought partner with the founders on company culture, company growth plans, and other HR issues
- Serve as a guardian of the company culture
- Establish a performance management process
- Help write the playbook for recruiting at Substack
- Establish a framework for how we manage compensation and benefits
- Lead inclusion and diversity and employee engagement initiatives
- Build a staffing team to support the organization
- Ongoing coaching and counsel to managers related to employee concerns, company programs, development, etc.
- Manage employee relations and investigations within the organization
- Ensure Substack is compliant with regulatory concerns
- Have 5+ years experience as an HR professional at startups or tech companies
- Have experienced life inside a high-growth company and understand its unusual needs
- Are strong in employee relations, recruiting, compensation, and have at least a passing knowledge of performance management, benefits, training and development, and onboarding
- Enjoy operating as much as strategizing, and are adept at both
- Are an independent thinker
- Are comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic, high-energy environment
- Have worked with executives
- Have strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Have a solid understanding of HR compliance and regulations within the US and specifically California