Designer - Activewear, Loungewear and Sleepwear
St. Louis, MO /
Fashion Design /
Summersalt is seeking a talented and experienced fashion designer for our activewear, loungewear and sleepwear collections. The role will partner collaboratively with designers, product development, production and merchandising to develop and execute collections to achieve growth and profitability goals while delivering on Summersalt’s brand pillars – designer quality, inclusivity, sustainability, functionality and performance – in every product, all at an accessible price.
ABOUT THE JOB: Designer - Activewear, Loungewear and Sleepwear
- Responsible for designing and developing the active, lounge, and sleep categories from inception to delivery including market trend research, inspiration, sketching, computer flat sketching, garment specifications, tech packs, etc.
- Develop and maintain a solid understanding of the Summersalt customer; understand trends and translate them to our customer.
- Work closely with Director of Fashion to prepare and present samples, sketches and concepts.
- Stay current with market trends via digital platforms, direct personal research and other methods in order to inform winning designs.
- Must have a good sense of color theory and print, bring a point of view and elevated aesthetic.
- Design within the mood, pallet and direction for each season and delivery; design and merchandise coordinating pieces for each collection and delivery.
- Research and select fabrics and trims with a focus on sustainability; work closely with Summersalt’s product development and sourcing teams on sustainable fabrics and trims.
- Create and maintain thorough and accurate tech packs in partnership with technical and production partners.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of Summersalt’s signature fit. Ensure proper fit and style are being reflected in all development samples through bulk production. Regularly participate in and/or lead fit sessions.
- Communicate clearly with overseas partners and work diligently with them to bring Summersalt’s product to market, troubleshoot issues and remove any barriers to delivering on deadline.
- Review and approve lab dips and strike offs in a timely fashion.
- Analyze sales and returns data to take a data-driven approach to design while ensuring all product is aligned with business strategy.
- Fulfill OKRs (Objectives and Key Results): Increase sales in a growing category, maintain existing fit standards while introducing new silhouettes, achieve return rate and margin targets and consistently bring newness to the table.
- Work cross-functionally with multiple teams to deliver key results; collaborate with technical designers, patternmakers, product development and production team, overseas vendors and more.
- Other duties as assigned including providing additional design support as needed.
- A bachelor’s degree in fashion design or a related field.
- 5+ years fashion design experience with expertise in women’s apparel.
- Experience designing and merchandising a direct-to-consumer or omnichannel collection, including clear and accurate tech packs and fitting and reviewing samples throughout the development process.
- Thrive in a fast paced and ever changing environment and work well under pressure and on tight deadlines.
- A passion for sustainable fabric and trim development as well as new techniques.
- Bring newness and passion for the category while staying true to the customer and business strategy.
- Flexible to changing demands with the ability to set priorities, problem solve and develop scalable processes in a high growth, start-up environment.
- Team-orientation and the ability to excel in a collaborative, cross-functional environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Creative Suite.
- Proficient in MS Office suite of products and other basic software.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required.
Summersalt is a generation-defining apparel brand, providing wardrobe essentials for women who are going places. Summersalt launched in 2017 with swimwear made from recycled materials at a $95 price point — designer quality swimwear without the designer price tag. Since then, we’ve launched additional categories including loungewear, knitwear, sleepwear and activewear. Summersalt pieces are modern, sophisticated and fun, with an impeccable data-backed fit based on millions of measurements from over 10,000 women. In the few short years since our founding, Summersalt has built a loyal following of customers, influencers and celebrities, while garnering praise from leading fashion media including ELLE, Vogue and People.
This role is a unique opportunity to join a well-funded, close-knit team that is redefining the apparel and swimwear categories and at the forefront of e-commerce, design and brand innovation. Sustainability, inclusivity and diversity are core tenants of the brand, and we work hard to inspire joy through our products and every interaction with the customer. If you want to be a part of a diverse, hardworking and fast-paced team filled with motivated and thoughtful people, please consider applying.