Associate Technical Designer
St. Louis, MO /
Fashion Design /
We are seeking an Associate Technical Designer to join our rapidly growing team. In this role, this individual will work in close collaboration with the Technical Design, Design, and Product Development teams to develop products from concept to pre-production approval. This person will also work externally with local and overseas partners to track production and ensure on-time delivery.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
- Own garment uniformity and consistency related to fit, construction and quality.
- Interface with cross functional teams and global partners to ensure product is consistent with our standards and production timelines.
- Assist leading fit sessions with Designers, Patternmaker, and Product Development to determine fit and aesthetic direction, proposing alternative methods of construction or components.
- Evaluate samples for vendor execution of fit and construction along with providing solutions via pattern corrections and/or garment re-engineering.
- Update tech packs, including detailed technical sketches, graded measurement specifications, construction details, bill of materials.
- Organize and prioritize daily workload to maintain production calendar and deadlines.
- Collaborate with both the Technical Design and patternmaking teams on block pattern development.
- Create and maintain libraries of approved samples, construction, garment specs and block patterns.
- Maintain thorough vendor communication and tracking to meet deadlines and ensure on-time delivery.
- 2+ years of technical design experience in swim and/or apparel (knit and woven).
- A trained eye for proportion and balance as well as aesthetic detail.
- Ability to clearly articulate technical approach, action plans and style/project status both verbally and in written communication.
- Thorough understanding of garment fitting, construction, and patternmaking.
- Working knowledge of the garment manufacturing process.
- Strong program skills (preferred programs Centric, Illustrator and Excel).
- Familiarity with Optitex, Lectra or Gerber software is nice to have.
- BS/BA Fashion Design & Product Development or relevant field
- We’re masters of prioritization. You can pivot and shift priorities with complete flexibility. Regardless of when distractions arise, your time management and resource planning skills keep everything running smoothly.
- We’re collaborative: You champion diverse backgrounds, perspectives and opinions. You believe that the greatest success comes from a collaborative team effort.
- We’re communicative—even when it’s hard. You’re direct and considerate in an effort to achieve the best possible outcome.
- We move at warp speed: You quickly absorb new information, skills, and responsibilities. Learning (really) fast and embracing unpredictability is a must.
- We’re data obsessed: You tackle complex problems with data that produces measured solutions. You use information from a range of key sources to spot patterns, connect dots, and solve problems—quickly.
Summersalt is a generation-defining apparel brand, providing wardrobe essentials for women who are going places. Summersalt launched in 2017 with swimwear made from recycled materials at a $95 price point — designer quality swimwear without the designer price tag. Since then, we’ve launched additional categories including loungewear, knitwear, sleepwear and activewear. Summersalt pieces are modern, sophisticated and fun, with an impeccable data-backed fit based on millions of measurements from over 10,000 women. In the few short years since our founding, Summersalt has built a loyal following of customers, influencers and celebrities, while garnering praise from leading fashion media including ELLE, Vogue and People.
This role is a unique opportunity to join a well-funded, close-knit team that is redefining the apparel and swimwear categories and at the forefront of e-commerce, design and brand innovation. Sustainability, inclusivity and diversity are core tenants of the brand, and we work hard to inspire joy through our products and every interaction with the customer. If you want to be a part of a diverse, hardworking and fast-paced team filled with motivated and thoughtful people, please consider applying.
Summersalt champions diverse backgrounds, perspectives and opinions. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive. Summersalt is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We hire the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex, parental status, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are committed to fostering diversity across our organization.