Senior Technical Artist - SUMO SHEFFIELD
Sumo Sheffield /
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We have a fantastic opportunity for a world-class technical artist to work on some of the most high profile AAA console title currently being developed in the UK. You will serve as the bridge between code and art - ensuring that that the art team has the ideal tool set to meet the demands of AAA content creation. Responsible for design, development and maintenance of efficient and feature rich art asset creation tools, plugins, and pipelines in collaboration with the Art Team and Technical Programmers.
You’ll also champion and embrace technical and artistic best practices to ensure predictable, high-quality delivery of assets required to achieve project milestone commitments.
We will need you to have experience of:
- Expert-level with coding and documenting user-facing tools for art creation and workflow (Excellent UI and error handling)
- Fluency in Python, understanding of C# (or other widely used language)
- Experience developing pipelines for proprietary engines and tools across multiple shipped titles
- Adept in balancing aesthetic needs and optimisation and able to foresee conflicts in advance
- Expert proficiency in working "under the hood" with digital art content creation tools such as Maya, 3DS Max Photoshop, Substance, etc;
- Knowledge of rigging, shaders, and VFX
- Understanding of artistic principles (scale/proportion, lighting, composition)
It would be great if you also have experience of:
- Experience with Perforce
- Experience integrating pipeline tools with art content management systems such as Shotgun and ftrack
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.