Studio Design Director
Timbre Games, Vancouver /
Timbre Games – Design /
Welcome to Timbre!
We are Timbre Games (part of the Sumo Digital Group), a new studio in Vancouver, Canada focused on making exciting, innovative game experiences. Timbre’s vision is to change the games industry through the original games we make, as well as how we make them. We’re building an inclusive, supportive culture that allows us to explore fresh, new (and sometimes weird) ideas. We’re searching for more visionary explorers to join our team of diverse voices, coming together to develop games that are accessible to a wide audience.
If you’re thinking about your next adventure, send us your resume to talk to our team about how you can add your voice to the games we’re working on.
Design at Timbre Games
A great Timbre Designer strives to be curious, humble, authentic and adaptable. Great ideas come from everywhere, and we have the exciting opportunity to harness the power of collaboration to create something truly special.
At Timbre, designers are here to build a cohesive vision using inclusive practices and help create clarity for our team around what the game experience aspires to be.
We are the voice of our players and the heart of the game. Constantly learning as we go, we use our skills and lean on those around us to shape quality experiences that capture our audience's imagination.
Together, alongside the rest of our talented team, we create confidence in Timbre's vision of building diverse, meaningful AAA games using the latest software technologies.
Timbre’s Studio Design Director is the center of our Design excellence. They are our point person for creative leadership and deep game design knowledge and perspective. They coach, drive, and provide oversight for our Design department to help us create, maintain and communicate the vision for all of our products. As a key member of the leadership team, you represent the studios’ design and creative work to both our external partners and parent companies.
Your critical eye considers both quality and innovation, and understands the different business models associated with great games. Having multiple products in progress at Timbre, you’ll provide a strategic and customer facing partnership with studio executives and key stakeholders.
You know how to create and have fun, and can balance capacity and creativity in our products. The Studio Design Director has an eye towards the future, is able to create clarity and understanding in our development cycles. You will draw from your experience in leadership and game design - helping Timbre continue to raise the bar in our gaming journey.
As a Studio Design Director at Timbre, you will:
- Progress, coach and guide the Design discipline at Timbre, working with the Creative Director on the short and long term vision of Design at our studio
- Define and evaluate the responsibilities of individual roles within Design, as well as highlight skill gaps to develop a thorough, long-term staffing roadmap
- Maintain a studio-wide definition and expectation of high quality “fun” in order to establish a cohesive set of standards and practices across all projects
- Confidently offer creative critique and make informed recommendations as it relates to our projects and their position in the market
- Work with the Project Directors and the Studio Production Director to standardize the studio’s documentation and communication processes to secure a confidence in all Designers at Timbre where they go to find the most up to date information
- Collaborate and communicate with our Sumo Design partners for alignment and integration into their processes, as well as leverage their expertise and resources
- Connect the Design team to opportunities to advance and develop their skills by hiring experts or establish training where needed
- Drive clarity and facilitation of cross discipline communication in a remote/hybrid team working across multiple time zones
- As one of our senior Directors, own and demonstrate Timbre’s values in your day to day interactions
What you bring:
- 10+ years of experience as a video game design Leader (Design Director, Game Director, Creative Director, etc)
- A deep knowledge and passion for the video game marketplace, where it’s headed, and how to position a vision for the Design Department within it
- Impeccable communication with a comfort in mentorship, coaching and driving decision making
- A thorough understanding of all of the specialized disciplines that are nestled within Design, how they connect, and how to encourage collaboration within them
- A hunger for ongoing learning and development, innovation, and improving accessibility
You may also bring:
- Proven design leadership for a studio or project that has successfully shipped a AAA game
- Knowledge of metrics, data and/or live services
- Experience with downloadable and/or user generated content
What you'll gain:
Timbre aims to foster a workplace environment that empowers our team to do their best creative work. Below are a list of some of the benefits we offer to ensure you reach your full potential. As we continue to grow, we are co-creating more values-driven benefits to support our team.
• Competitive salary & comprehensive health benefits, including extended health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, short / long-term disability, 24/7 counselling through an employee assistance program and a health spending account available to you from your first day
• Annual bonus & up to 5% RRSP matching available to you from your first day
• Flexible paid time off, plus holiday closure between Christmas and New Years, as well as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
• Work with us in Vancouver or remotely across Canada, utilizing our $500 work from home allowance
• 1 year gaming subscription and weekly gaming days
• My Pathway - a Career Development Program to provide a clear path for you to grow at Timbre
• 8 learning days per year and unlimited access to Udemy online courses
• A values driven culture with direct access to leadership
Timbre’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre Games is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada and on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Although our roots are in Vancouver, we work with a remote, distributed team across Canada. If you are interested in an opportunity at Timbre Games but are not presently residing in Canada, please note that we may be able to offer assistance in immigrating / relocating under the right conditions.
Timbre Games is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law. We celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create!
At Timbre, we try to be mindful and not set unrealistic requirement expectations in order to apply. If you don’t tick all of the boxes of the role that you’re excited about, we encourage you to send your resume to our General Application inbox on our careers page, or, follow Timbre on LinkedIn to stay in touch with our newest openings.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If what we’ve shared above resonates with you, connect with us today!