Senior Game Designer
Sumo Sheffield /
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a passionate Senior Game Designer to work on the next game in an established AAA open-world action franchise. This is an exciting opportunity for a designer specialising in feature ownership, prototyping, and implementation.
Within this role you will:
- Take ownership of features from inception through to game release; striving for quality and innovation while adhering to the core vision of the game.
- Be the champion of quality for multiple feature designs; executing the vision of the Lead Designer and the stakeholder team.
- Review, tweak and balance gameplay to deliver a AAA quality experience.
- Collaborate across disciplines and external partners to facilitate development.
- Create and maintain detailed design documentation.
- Troubleshoot design issues from a creative standpoint.
- Mentor junior design-team members.
- Review and feedback on game design and implementation with the team.
You will need to have:
- A likable and approachable personality with a desire to motivate those around you.
- 5+ years experience, and 2 or more shipped titles on consoles or PC.
- Game design experience on a AAA action, shooter, open-world, or multiplayer game at a senior level.
- Bonus points: experience working on vehicle systems and/or 3Cs.
- A proven ability to breakdown high-level design goals into individual components.
- An excellent understanding of past and current game trends; particularly in the open-world and action genres.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine.
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus
· Share Incentive Plan
· Competitive Pension
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
· 5 Learning Days
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
· Game & Book Libraries
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Big Family Events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
· Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
· Employee Assistance Programme
· Life Assurance 4x Salary
· Income Protection of 75%
· Relocation Support to the UK
· Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.