Character Concept Artist
Atomhawk Newcastle /
Atomhawk – Character Art /
A variety of Seniority levels are available including extra responsibilities such as mentoring or leading projects.
Atomhawk is looking for talented concept artists who have a passion for character design (a passion for realistic characters or someone with a wide range across realism and stylised would be advantageous). You’ll be working on a large variety of exciting titles that range from realistic to stylized art on a range of upcoming AAA videogame titles.
No formal training is required but an eye-catching portfolio is a must. We're looking for personalities who will fit our culture of innovative creativity and collaborative problem-solving.
We’re very interested to see initial ideas and sketches along with your final rendering quality. The ability to bring character and personality to your designs is a must for this role, so please include your most creative pieces in your portfolio to show us what you can do!
If this interests you, we encourage you to send us your portfolio and show us what you’d bring to our flock.
Please download and read our portfolio guide , which provides detailed guidance on what we look for in artist portfolios. Download the guide from http://atomhawk.com/s/Atomhawk_Portfolio_Guide.pdf
We look for the following things in people who want to join our team:
- Quality at all stages of the process – Creation of artwork that is well presented and defined from sketch through to final polish. You can see examples of our finished work on our website,
- Design thinking – Solving creative problems through innovative design, balancing form and function,
- Technical skill – Fluency in Photoshop and an understanding of complimentary software and tools,
- 3D skills - Experience using 3D software such as Core, Mudbox, Blender, 3DsMax, Z-Brush and Maya,
- Art fundamentals – A strong grasp of colour, light, composition, anatomy, perspective and depth,
- Variety and iteration – The ability to provide multiple creative options, then iterate upon them as projects progress,
- Adaptability – Switching quickly and fluidly to new requirements and processes when required,
- Working to a brief – Understanding creative briefs, then considering elements such as context, timescales and creative constraints when solving tasks,
- Time management – Creation of high-quality work within allocated timescales,
- Collaboration – Receptive to taking feedback and working together with team-mates and clients.
Atomhawk produces the very best in cutting-edge creative conceptualisation, visualisation, and realisation. Our client list includes major names - Warner Bros, Sony, Microsoft, SEGA, Activision, 2K, EPIC, The Pokémon Company and Blizzard all feature. And we like variety. Every project is different from the last. The spectrum covers gritty, hard-hitting Mortal Kombat, irreverent and stylised Surgeon Simulator 2, comic book superheroes, nostalgic childhood favourites and all things in between. Whichever franchise is on today’s agenda - DC, Halo, Marvel, Mortal Kombat and Warhammer - we move through their worlds with ease and creative curiosity.
The work our team produces is world-class. We’ve celebrated that fact in three artbooks. Each one features concept art, tutorials and professional tips. Volume 3 was created to mark the studio’s 10th anniversary, and was displayed and sold at the Great North Museum: Hancock in Newcastle, where we held the exhibition Other Worlds: The Art of Atomhawk in 2020. You can take a virtual tour of the exhibition here.
Our output hasn’t gone unnoticed. We received Best Companies’ 3 Star Accreditation 2021 and Top Companies North East 2021. We hold the Queen’s Award for Enterprise for International Trade, as well as the TIGA Star Award 2021. We were also named Best Art/Animation/Trailer Supplier at the 2021 Develop Star Awards.
Creativity thrives through diversity, not conformity. Every Atomhawk applicant and employee is afforded space and freedom to be their true self, with no fear of prejudice or persecution. During the application process, you won’t be judged on your name, your gender, your sexuality, your ethnicity, your age, your religion, or any other factor unrelated to your ability to do the job.
As well as having the chance to work on some incredible projects, Atomhawk offers a unique environment for those wanting to be surrounded by like-minded creative people. We have one of the largest in-house teams of specialist digital artists in the world, providing a collaborative community that works, develops and socialises together.
Atomhawk provides structured career development and training pathways for staff at all levels. We offer flexible working hours and a strict ‘No-Crunch’ culture, meaning overtime is not required or forced within the art team. This is alongside a competitive salary, relocation allowance and comprehensive benefit and bonus scheme.
Our UK studio is based in the North East of England on the banks of the River Tyne. Newcastle Quayside is just a short walk from our office, with hundreds of bars, shops and restaurants to choose from. Not only being one of the UK’s most affordable major cities to live in, it is also close to the coast and countryside, perfect for when you want a change of pace from the buzz of the city. Transport connections are excellent, with Newcastle International Airport offering flights across the world.
Atomhawk is part of Sumo Group Ltd, one of the UK’s leading videogame developers.