Environment Artist (Fixed Term Contract) - SUMO SHEFFIELD
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We’re looking for passionate and talented Environment Artists to join our team in Sheffield on a fixed term contract until December 2019. You will be working on a current project in production, and will form part of the highly skilled environment team. We are accepting applications from Graduates up to Senior level candidates who can join us immediately.
Within this role you will:
- Create high quality realistic and stylized next gen game environment buildings, props and landscapes.
- Sculpt and model high and low polygon assets and texture them through the PBR pipeline.
- Ensure assets created follow the given art direction, and are within the agreed production deadlines and conform to the required technical specifications.
- Have an eager attitude to improve and continually develop required skills through personal learning and training.
- Within this role you will work with the concept, environment and the level design team to construct and populate worlds and levels.
- You’ll need to be passionate about visual storytelling, excited about working in different areas of game art and the opportunity to develop new skills and work in a small, fast interdisciplinary team.
- You will be responsible for briefing and feedback on a proportion of work created externally.
We need you to have:
- Excellent core 3D modelling skills using Max/Maya and ZBrush.
- Strong Photoshop skills and ability to create photorealistic hand painted textures.
- A good understanding of PBR work flow, and procedural software such as Substance Painter and Substance Designer
- A strong portfolio with high and low poly modelling and texturing examples.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience of working within Unreal 4
What we Offer:
Sumo Digital continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003.
We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out-of-office events such as our legendary annual Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
Sheffield itself offers all the benefits of a big city with a village attitude. Renowned for its friendly inhabitants and green spaces, Sheffield is a phenomenal place to live and work whether you’re just starting out in your career, or if you’re looking to establish roots and family. The city includes world-class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping and restaurants, and a third of the city lies inside the stunning Peak District National Park, offering easy access to incredible recreation and history.
Our Sheffield studio is adjacent to the Meadowhall shopping centre and its rail, tram and bus links and to the M1 motorway, making for an easy commute from places like Leeds and Nottingham.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.