Lab42 Games, Leamington Spa /
Lab42 – Programming & Engineering /
Lab42 is a best-in-class cross-platform game developer based in Leamington Spa, UK. Since our founding as a small indie studio, our headcount has grown into a team full of talented, experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from SEGA, Codemasters and EA.
As well as working on our own IP, we also offer co-development services to a growing list of clients, including Paradox, SEGA and Curve Digital. We work on some of the best titles around, such as Call of Duty, Crusader Kings, Yakuza, Star Wars Racer and much more, without losing touch with the anti-crunch and people-first values our studio was founded upon.
As winners of the GI Biz Best Places to Work award for the past 3 years running, our studio benefits from a friendly, supportive and empowering team culture. We encourage professional growth, while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Lab42 is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, and we embrace all the elements that make our team unique. We’re an inclusive studio and welcome applications from qualified applicants of any background, regardless of race, age, disability, gender identity or neurodiversity.
We are looking for a Senior Graphics Programmer to join us on an exciting new project. This is a fantastic opportunity to play a pivotal role in directly contributing to the game's "highly-performant and stylised experience." You will directly contribute to the programming team's collective knowledge and help to architect, plan, and troubleshoot development, to deliver on the ambitious vision for the game.
As a Senior Graphics Programmer working with the project’s Technical Leadership, you will create and maintain best practices for all graphics components and systems. In this role, you will champion quality across the project and collaborate with all disciplines in the delivery of an exciting project.
You will join an experienced group of talented developers who share a passion for creating AAA quality games. Your skills and perspective will complement a team built on transparency, trust, and integrity; a team who are not afraid to challenge ourselves in the pursuit of excellence.
We're open to this person being based in-studio position or operating in a hybrid model (2 weeks in, 2 weeks out).
- Work closely with Code Leadership to plan, estimate, and write high-quality performant 3D graphics components, systems, and visual effects that fully leverage each of our target platform’s hardware capabilities
- Work closely with Feature/Product Owners, reviewing specifications to provide graphics-specific input
- Develop, maintain and extend existing graphics features and systems
- Design, write and test efficient code that meets and exceeds internal quality criteria
- Contribute to regular code reviews, championing code quality and best practices
The role requires:
- Excellent knowledge of C++
- Experience working with next-gen graphics pipelines, 3D graphics APIs as well as profiling builds & identifying bottlenecks (CPU, GPU, footprints, loads)
- Experience using instruments (Pix, VTune, Renderdoc, Tuner, etc.)
- Experience working with a multi-platform codebase
- Eexperience debugging multithreaded code
- Experience with HLSL, Cg, or similar
Nice to have:
- Passionate about GPU technologies and their practical application within real-time game development
- Experience or demos featuring PBR, Real-time Deformation, Compute Shaders, Vulkan, DXR, RTX GI, or similar
- Bounce Lighting
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was founded upon a people-first, anti-crunch culture, and we’ve stayed true to those values through all of our growth and success. Now part of the Sumo Digital family of studios, we enjoy all of the benefits and comradery of being part of a large games development organisation, without losing the friendly and flexible working environment that makes Lab42 a great place to work.
As part of Lab42, you’ll be able to work on both original IPs and some of the biggest and best games around – without having to sleep at your desk! Instead, we encourage a harmonious work-life balance that allows you to spend time with family and friends, while still enjoying a career in an exciting industry.
We believe in providing opportunities for internal career progression, and there is plenty of room to grow and fulfill your potential at Lab42. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff, we have been joined by many industry veterans, and are proud to be a studio where people chose to stay, develop and grow through their Game Development careers.