Lead Game Designer - SUMO NOTTINGHAM
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sumo Nottingham became part of the Sumo Digital family in March of 2016 and is a community of diverse, game-loving people ranging from industry veterans to talented graduates.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a lead game designer to join the Sumo Nottingham team!
Within this role you will:
- Oversee the creation and implementation of innovative game systems
- Supervise the creation and maintenance of detailed design documentation
- Review and feed back on game design and implementation with the team
- Define and allocate tasks to the design team, including accurately assessing the time required to complete each task
- Troubleshoot design issues from a creative standpoint
- Define game vision and high level experience, in collaboration with the design director
- Report to the design director
We need you to have:
- More than five years of experience and/or two or more shipped titles in a design role
- A passion for racing games of all types
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A grasp of current game trends
What we Offer:
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying over fifteen years of stability and growth. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary annual Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
We are proud to be in Nottingham, which benefits from a wealth of attractions, including world-famous history, a huge choice of bars and restaurants, art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events. Our new state-of-the-art studio is in the Castle Marina area of the City – ten minutes’ walk from the City Centre and served by excellent bus, train, tram and cycle links as well as good access to the North and South via the M1 motorway.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.