PR & Communications Manager
Secret Mode, Leamington Spa /
Secret Mode – Marketing /
Greetings from The Bunker! Secret Mode is the newly founded publishing wing of the award-winning Sumo Group Plc. Our goal is to publish internally developed projects from any of our 11 game development studios across the UK, US, Europe and India, as well as third party independent game developers.
Now is an exciting time to get in at the beginning of Secret Mode’s adventure. If you have a strong passion for video games and want to help us build the best games publisher in the business, please reach out to us. We’d love to have a chat!
Reporting to the Head of Marketing, you will be responsible for promoting the Secret Mode brand and video game products by writing compelling content for news and communications published via various channels. You will work with key stakeholders to deliver strong copywriting, with a passion for storytelling that helps drive awareness around the business. You will manage the media relations and push the communications strategy out. You will manage press events and build relationships with key media stakeholders. You will have an eye for detail and a strong ability to understand the core audiences for content and how to correctly message Secret Mode’s games.
You will also be responsible for helping to implement our internal communications. Working closely with our marketing team, you will generate content to support our wider marketing efforts.
The successful candidate will be a digitally minded, creative copywriter who can think on their feet and produce effective content and copy from scratch. You will have a background in PR or content writing within the video gaming industry either in-house, agency side or a mixture of both. You will be a team player, with a creative flair. You will bring an enthusiastic and energetic attitude to teams around you and always be looking for ways for us to improve our messaging both internally and externally.
Key Job Functions
- Use first rate writing skills to ensure consistency of brand and messaging across different media and audiences
- Draft press releases, features, interviews, and commentary
- Pitch Secret Mode announcements & placement to industry shows and events, such as The Game Awards, PC Gaming Show etc
- Manage press interviews with game developers at events and hands on gaming reveals etc
- Create and own the Secret Mode monthly newsletter and press releases on the Secret Mode website
- Distribute press kits and game code directly to media or via supporting agencies
- Develop direct relationships with key media and journalists
- Plan, coordinate, and execute press events
- Manage PR plan & strategy, including logistics, embargoes, coordination, website, etc
- Work with the Secret Mode Marketing team to identify content creation opportunities across video, thought leadership articles, podcasts etc
- Work with the marketing team and digital agency supporters to write website content and messaging
- Act as point of contact and advisor within the business on PR opportunities and initiatives
- Ensure that the entirety of the Secret Mode Team have sight of media coverage and visibility of results achieved through regular reporting
- Implement an internal communications strategy and plan that measurably enhances employees’ understanding and engagement with Secret Mode’s products and brand strategy
To be successful in this role you will have:
- 2-4 years’ experience in PR and or communications in video games
- Exceptionally strong writing and communication skills, advanced PowerPoint skills, strong attention to detail.
- Relevant experience in a similar role delivering a programme of external and internal communications across a range of channels including industry events, internal emails, video and other digital platforms.
What We Offer:
· Annual bonus scheme
· Electric car scheme
· Share incentive plan
· Competitive pension
· Flexible and remote working
· Dynamic friendly and inclusive working environment
· Virtual and in person social events, including launch parties, away days and Christmas events
· 27 days annual leave, including your birthday, a duvet day and Christmas shutdown
· 5 learning days
· Access to 4,000 Udemy courses and the GDC Vault
· Employee referral bonus
· Mentoring and career development, with clear progression plans
· Competitive mat/paternity & adoption leave
· Employee assistance program
· Life assurance of 4x salary
· Income protection of 75%
· A comprehensive and flexible benefit package
· Social Events and Celebrations with the wider Sumo Group
We are Secret Mode.
Quality drives us.
Fun informs us.
Community is our reason for being.
Inclusivity is at the heart of everything we do.
To delight and inspire is our goal.
Secret Mode is managed by a small group of industry veterans and a team of experienced and newcomers to the industry alike. We’re looking for diverse, creative, driven people who share our passion for all things video games, no matter their background.
As part of the Sumo family, we’re able to offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. We’re based in Royal Leamington Spa but are flexible on work-from-home options.
Our environment is fast paced, dynamic and friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we publish. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other. We have taken the #RaiseTheGame pledge to fully dedicate ourselves to inclusivity in our hiring and working processes and already have aligned ourselves with amazing initiatives and charity organisations to make a difference in the industry we all love.