Experienced Creature Artist
The Chinese Room, Brighton /
The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Chinese Room is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to women, BAME, older people and those from working-class backgrounds.
The role @ The Chinese Room
The Chinese Room is looking for highly talented and creative Experienced Creature Artists to join our wonderful team on both a fixed term and permanent basis. You’ll be at the center of a bold and brilliant title, with all of TCR’s trademark visual flair and quality.
Within this role you will:
- Be responsible for production of excellent quality high polygon creature models
- Transfer high poly models to low in game meshes adhering to specified budgets
- Creation of high quality in-game assets for a PBR pipeline
- Troubleshooting creature art issues from a creative and technical standpoint
- Working closely with the rigging and animation team to ensure your models work well in motion
- Collaborate with the concept team by highlighting and providing solutions to any design problems before the modelling stage
We will need you to have:
- A professional and collaborative attitude, with the ability to work well in a team
- A good understanding of anatomy (human and animal)
- Strong organic sculpting ability
- Demonstrable experience of game development cycles on console, PC and/or mobile
- Excellent knowledge of at least one major 3D package (Max or Maya).
- Outstanding organisational and communication skills
- Commercial knowledge of Zbrush, Substance Painter and real-time shaders.
- Understanding of a PBR texture/material workflow
- Ability to work in a variety of styles
- Previous Unreal Engine experience
Our titles include the ground-breaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a PlayStation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world, and the multi award-winning Little Orpheus (2020). This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
We bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games to a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. Being part of the Sumo team enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. Our most recently announced game, Little Orpheus, is an Apple Arcade exclusive and we’re working on other unannounced ‘AAA’ titles that will further establish our award-winning style and reputation.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
The Chinese Room is located in Brighton in the south of England, home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene and a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is in the city centre, near the beach, and close to the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is only half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.