Lead Game Designer
Lab42 Games, Leamington Spa /
Lab42 – Design /
Lab42 is a best-in-class cross-platform game developer based in Leamington Spa, UK. Since our founding as a small indie studio, our headcount has grown into a team full of talented, experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from SEGA, Codemasters and EA.
As well as working on our own IP, we also offer co-development services to a growing list of clients, including Paradox, SEGA and Curve Digital. We work on some of the best titles around, such as Call of Duty, Crusader Kings, Yakuza, Star Wars Racer and much more, without losing touch with the anti-crunch and people-first values our studio was founded upon.
As winners of the GI Biz Best Places to Work award for the past 3 years running, our studio benefits from a friendly, supportive and empowering team culture. We encourage professional growth, while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Lab42 is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, and we embrace all the elements that make our team unique. We’re an inclusive studio and welcome applications from qualified applicants of any background, regardless of race, age, disability, gender identity or neurodiversity.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Lead Game Designer to join Lab42 - a Sumo Digital Studio. This is an exciting opportunity for a designer specialising in leading design, feature ownership and implementation.
Within this role you will:
- Lead game design from inception through to game release; striving for quality and innovation while adhering to the core vision of the game
- Be the champion of quality for multiple feature designs; executing the vision of the stakeholder team
- Represent Lab42 with third party publishing, marketing and press
- Review and adapt designs based on user testing and telemetry data
- Create and maintain detailed design documentation
- Collaborate across disciplines and external partners to facilitate development
- Define and allocate tasks to the design team, including accurately assessing the time required to complete each task
- Mentor junior design team members
- Report directly to the Lab42 Design Director
We need you to have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A proven track record of designing for high-profile games
- A flexible and innovative approach to design problem solving and new concept generation
- A likable and approachable personality with a desire to motivate those around you
- A passionate love of gaming and a strong understanding of modern gaming trends
- 5+ years in game development with at least 1 year in a lead role
- Demonstrable experience of working in engine, ideally with experience in Unreal Engine
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was founded upon a people-first, anti-crunch culture, and we’ve stayed true to those values through all of our growth and success. Now part of the Sumo Digital family of studios, we enjoy all of the benefits and comradery of being part of a large games development organisation, without losing the friendly and flexible working environment that makes Lab42 a great place to work.
As part of Lab42, you’ll be able to work on both original IPs and some of the biggest and best games around – without having to sleep at your desk! Instead, we encourage a harmonious work-life balance that allows you to spend time with family and friends, while still enjoying a career in an exciting industry.
We believe in providing opportunities for internal career progression, and there is plenty of room to grow and fulfill your potential at Lab42. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff, we have been joined by many industry veterans, and are proud to be a studio where people chose to stay, develop and grow through their Game Development careers.