Sumo Sheffield /
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Sheffield is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
Sumo Sheffield are looking for a talented and experienced Senior Animator, who is skilled in a broad range of animation styles and capable of creating dynamic and compelling animation (including hand-keyed and/or motion capture based) as required by the project. We are looking for someone who understands game animation production and its idiosyncrasies. That person ideally would be an established Senior but we would also consider someone with the right skills who is looking to advance their career and transition into that role. The ideal candidate will enjoy being involved in a friendly, hard working environment and be able to communicate well within the art team as well as with other development disciplines.
Sumo has a wide variety of projects in development and for an Animator that means working on something that could vary in style from stylized to realistic and any point in between. We require someone who is flexible in both talent and mindset.
Within this role you will:
- Be a strong team contributor.
- Assist the lead animator in developing the animation style and direction.
- Consistently create high-quality, appealing animations that directly contribute to the realization of successful game characters and cinematic sequences.
- Take ownership of animated work from early pre-visualization, to final polish.
- Implement animations into the project’s engine with full ownership of your work.
- Serve as an active participant in team discussions, critiques and reviews.
- Actively contribute to the continued development of the techniques and practices of the animation team; maintain an understanding of industry and craft best practices.
- Collect, create and study applicable reference material in order to remain informed about animation techniques and to educate other team members in the creative and technical approaches to the development of successful animation.
- Collaborate directly with technical animators, designers, programmers and other artists to ensure that the work of the animation team is created in the most efficient and technically responsible manner.
- Have responsibility for the production of high quality hand keyed animation.
- Work with and understand Motion Capture data.
- Be able to adapt to a variety of styles as the project demands.
- Exhibit a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of animation.
- Perform research and reference gathering to acquire the necessary knowledge to perform assigned animation tasks.
- Meet production schedules and deadlines.
- Assist in Lead responsibilities such as mentoring, scheduling and R&D into new features.
- Contribute to the conceptualization of character behaviours and abilities.
- Provide detailed input during the character creation process, from concept to modelling to final rigging, identifying character performance and functionality requirements.
- Communicate effectively with peers.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the pipelines and procedures within the project/company.
- Able to direct MoCap talent during character rehearsal and motion capture shoots.
We need you to have:
- A strong understanding of modern video game animation systems.
- Strong knowledge of traditional animation principles and how they can be used to enhance gameplay
- Industry Experience: 5+ years AAA game’s experience.
- Thorough understanding of animation fundamentals for human and non-human characters.
- Understanding of Character creation process from concept, to modelling and final rigging.
- Demonstrable experience in creating animation of a high standard while maintaining visual and functional specifications for game mechanics.
- Excellent knowledge or at least one major 3d package (ie Maya or 3DSMax).
- Basic knowledge of Maya and Max essential.
- Good understanding of the game development process.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
We'd also ideally like you to have (although its not a deal breaker):
- Game engine experience (UE4 among others).
- Interest in playing games and current technical trends in the medium.
- If you have worked on first person games as an animator would be beneficial but not essential.
- If you have experience in using MoCap hardware and software although not essential
- Experience in motion builder a plus
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.