Technical Director - SUMO SHEFFIELD
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are actively recruiting a new AAA Core team as part of our expansion strategy, capable of innovating & developing the next wave of gaming.
As part of this new drive we are currently on the search for an exceptional Technical Director to join our Sheffield studio. You will be working in the newly formed Core team and will be the back bone of the team’s Code discipline, assisting in shaping what it looks like and helping to drive diversity as we begin to work on an exciting new project.
Your main responsibilities:
- Technical Strategy ~ take the lead in technical strategy and direction for an exciting new IP with one of the world’s biggest publishers.
- Communicate ~ development progress clearly and regularly with the publisher and production.
- Collaborate ~ act as a sounding board for Project Leads; offering feedback, guidance and advice as needed.
- Risk Management ~ identify technical risks on projects and develop contingency plans to put into place with the team.
- Recruit, Grow & Mentor ~ able to grow and develop the technical teams, with a focus on recruitment, mentoring, developing team members and performance management.
- Coding Practices ~ be responsible for ensuring we follow solid coding practices & maintaining a high bar for our code quality.
- Sharing Knowledge ~ with other Technical Directors to propose solutions that improve the development of projects in the studio
- Positive Working Relationships ~ with Studio Discipline Directors.
To be successful you will have:
- Proven team management and communication skills.
- Exceptional Coding skills in C++
- Proven commercial leadership experience in the gaming industry either as a Technical Director, or a Senior/Lead on a major AAA game.
- Experience working on games for console or PC throughout an entire development cycle.
- A consultative approach, working across the whole studio to deliver your projects.
- A sound understanding of software development practices.
- The ability to adapt or suggest adaptations to existing Engines and Workflows
It would be advantageous if you have:
- Experience working on new IP products.
- Experience in games as a service.
What we Offer:
Sumo Digital continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003.
We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out-of-office events such as our legendary annual Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
Sheffield itself offers all the benefits of a big city with a village attitude. Renowned for its friendly inhabitants and green spaces, Sheffield is a phenomenal place to live and work whether you’re just starting out in your career, or if you’re looking to establish roots and family. The city includes world-class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping and restaurants, and a third of the city lies inside the stunning Peak District National Park, offering easy access to incredible recreation and history.
Our Sheffield studio is adjacent to the Meadowhall shopping centre and its rail, tram and bus links and to the M1 motorway, making for an easy commute from places like Leeds and Nottingham.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.