Technical Art Director/CG Supervisor
Sumo Nottingham /
Sumo Nottingham develops characterful, accessible and innovative action/adventure and racing games for console and PC. We are part of Sumo Digital Ltd., an independent UK developer working with some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony and Sega.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Nottingham is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
We’re looking for a Technical Art Director/CG Supervisor to oversee the technical art processes, pipelines and quality across the games at Sumo Nottingham, as well as be responsible for the technologies and techniques that we use to ensure the optimal balance between art quality and game performance.
Candidates for the role must demonstrate an extremely broad understanding of the art and technical processes used in the creation of real time content for video games.
- You will research and guide the exploration of potential methodologies and solutions to achieve the visual goals of the project.
- Supervise and direct the studios Technical Art and VFX teams across multiple projects.
- Collaborate with the Code, Design and Art teams to identify, research and help implement new ideas and technical art features needed for each projects vision.
- Define the roadmap and long-term vision for the Technical Art and VFX teams.
- Strategically plan against the needs of the various disciplines that require technical art support.
- Define best practices, workflows and pipelines as well as developing and improving existing processes.
- Work with the other content creators to drive in game budgets and ensure proper game performance and optimisation.
- Drive research and development into new software and art techniques through an understanding of emerging trends and technologies in games, media and visual effects.
- Build relationships with the Technical teams from other Sumo studios to collaborate, share and leverage technologies that would be useful to Sumo Nottingham projects.
- Organise and lead training across the Art and Technical Art Teams
We need you to have:
- 12 or more years industry experience as a Technical Artist working on Image Quality, Shaders & Materials, Lighting, Post FX, Rendering, Performance, and Pipelines.
- Must have shipped multiple 3D titles in a leadership role.
- Deep understanding of Shaders, Lighting, and Rendering systems.
- Excellent understanding of game development process from concept and pre-production, through production, to finalising and optimisation.
- Solid experience and understanding of content pipelines on modern game consoles.
- Strong technical proficiency and understanding of common and proprietary tools and technology used for content creation.
- Experience driving the optimisation of content for game engines.
- Some experience in sculpting, modelling, rigging and animation and understanding of the related workflows
- Can work with a team to troubleshoot issues and create efficient pipelines and processes.
- Strong understanding and proficiency in programming/scripting Languages or similar systems required for tools and pipelines.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Have a creative eye and aesthetic judgement to help drive and critique visual quality.
- Diligence with individual and team tasks, taking into account scheduling and budget limitations.
Where you’ll be working
Our studio is in Nottingham’s Castle Marina, near Nottingham’s picturesque canal route and just fifteen minutes’ walk from the City Centre. The studio is served by excellent bus, tram and cycle links and the railway station is a ten-minute walk away.
Nottingham has lots to see and do, including a huge choice of bars and restaurants, art galleries and numerous cultural events. There are several large parks in and around the city (including Wollaton Park, containing Batman’s house!), and it sits on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District area. It has excellent road and rail links to the North and South of the country, with London less than two hours away by train.
What we’ll do for you
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. We support your personal development through access to training resources and time to work on them. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves, and offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, with emphasis on well being and work/life balance.
Want to know more about Sumo?
Sumo Digital, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and 2019 TIGA Award for Best Independent Studio, continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, Warrington, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.