Senior Technical Animator
Sumo Sheffield /
Sumo Sheffield – Animation /
With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021 and 2022, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 20 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The role @ Sumo Sheffield
We have an unmissable opportunity for a highly creative Senior Technical Animator to join our Sheffield studio where you will have the opportunity to showcase and grow your skills within a seasoned and proven team.
You need to have a wealth of experience and impressive track record backed up by a body of work demonstrating your highly creative approach. A strong ability to produce polished rigs, animation and character pipelines that are world-class is essential. You will need to clearly demonstrate experience in setting up and managing animation state machines and in working with code and design to achieve solid and engaging player experiences. Strong Python scripting skills and examples of problem-solving are also essential. Experience using Unreal Engine, Maya, and MotionBuilder is an advantage.
This position is offered on a fully remote, hybrid or in-studio basis. Any remote working must be located from within the UK.
Within this role you will:
- Develop, manage and maintain a class leading character pipeline.
- Work with code and design to achieve solid and engaging player experiences.
- Exhibit a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of animation as they apply to the animation design.
- Be expected to act autonomously as an experienced senior-level person on the team.
- Oversee the work of more junior staff members.
- Take direction and undergo reviews from the Lead and Principal Technical Animators.
- Provide detailed input during the character creation process, from concept to modelling to final rigging, identifying character performance and functionality requirements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the pipelines and procedures within the project as a whole.
- Create standards, design workflows and document processes.
We will need you to have:
- At least 4 years of industry experience in a Technical Animation role for console and/or PC games with a minimum of 2 published games.
- Evidence of previous projects completed in a Senior Technical Animation role.
- A strong demo reel that adequately reflects this experience.
- Solid knowledge of Maya and/or MotionBuilder.
- Experience with setting up characters in Unreal Engine.
- Experience with Unreal Blueprints, Control Rig and Sequencer.
- Scripting with Python, experience with tool development and various data formats.
- Thorough understanding of animation fundamentals for human and non-human characters.
- Experience in both keyframe and motion capture pipelines.
- Understanding of the character creation process from concept to modelling to final rigging.
- Understanding of in-engine character physics and dynamics, such as cloth, hair and procedural deformation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.