Senior Concept Artist - Concept Team - SUMO SHEFFIELD
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
Sumo is looking for a highly creative and versatile Senior Concept Artist for the Concept Team at our Sheffield studio.
The role is full-time and 100 % based in-house at our Sheffield studio in the UK. Remote or part remote working applications will not be considered.
For the position, we are looking for versatility and rapid iteration; the ideal candidate will be keen to embrace every stylistic challenge and will have the kind of over-active imagination that never stops coming up with new ways to interpret a given brief or add an unexpected twist of surprise to every concept that comes their way, always striving to deliver excellent concept pieces as required for a project.
Within this role you will:
- This position is purely hands-on creation of concept pieces to drive the direction of a pitch and help communicate the Creative Director’s vision throughout the Concept Team.
- You will be responsible for creating and iterating on ideas whilst maintaining the vision and feeding into the development of ideas with the wider team.
- Maintaining quality and consistency with the other members of the concept team.
- Fast concept and iteration of ideas across all aspects of the brief – from the loose working of thumbnails to finished high-spec presentation pieces.
We need you to have:
- Able to work in multiple artistic styles.
- High levels of aesthetic ability, judgement and eye for detail.
- Excellent composition, lighting and colour theory skills and appreciation.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self-initiating, confident approach to their work, ability to take an idea and develop it further than the brief suggests.
- Keen understanding of western cultural influences beyond games; movies, books, TV, comics etc.
- Ideas generation and iteration.
- High quality illustrative ability as well as ‘quick and dirty’ productive roughs.
- An open and receptive response to feedback and working within a small, creative, ideas-driven team.
We'd also ideally like you to have shipped at least one AAA title and to be able to discuss games, gaming culture and a wider spectrum of influences. We’re looking for a dynamic personality that understands the need to be responsive and mature; how to always give their best when the cycle of projects can be extremely rapid and changeable. This role demands experience, excellence and excitement… is that you?
What we Offer:
Sumo Digital continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003.
We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out-of-office events such as our legendary annual Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
Sheffield itself offers all the benefits of a big city with a village attitude. Renowned for its friendly inhabitants and green spaces, Sheffield is a phenomenal place to live and work whether you’re just starting out in your career, or if you’re looking to establish roots and family. The city includes world-class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping and restaurants, and a third of the city lies inside the stunning Peak District National Park, offering easy access to incredible recreation and history.
Our Sheffield studio is adjacent to the Meadowhall shopping centre and its rail, tram and bus links and to the M1 motorway, making for an easy commute from places like Leeds and Nottingham.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.