Senior/Lead Concept Artist - SUMO SHEFFIELD
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying over fifteen years of stability and growth. We have six UK studios; Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Huddersfield, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
Recent work includes Crackdown 3 (Microsoft), Hitman 2 (IO Interactive), LittleBigPlanet 3 (Sony), and our first self-published original title - Snake Pass. We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Team Sonic Racing (SEGA) and Dead Island 2 (Deep Silver/Koch Media) as well as unannounced ‘AAA’ projects for major publishers.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo. After fifteen years of success, even bigger things are on the horizon, and want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
Sumo is looking for highly creative Senior and Lead Concept Artists at their Sheffield studio.
The role is full-time and 100 % based in-house at our Sheffield studio in the UK. Remote or part remote working applications will not be considered.
For the position, we are looking for versatility and rapid iteration; the ideal candidates will be keen to embrace every stylistic challenge, – and will have the kind of over-active imagination that never stops coming up with new ways to interpret a given brief or add an unexpected twist of surprise to every concept that comes their way, always striving to deliver excellent concept pieces as required for a project.
Within this role you will:
- This position is purely hands-on creation of concept pieces to drive the direction of a project and help communicate the Project Art Director’s stylistic vision throughout the team.
- Responsible for creating and iterating on ideas whilst maintaining the artistic vision of the Project Art Director.
- Maintaining quality and consistency with the other members of the concept team.
- Fast concept and iteration of ideas across all aspects of the brief.
We need you to have:
- Able to work in multiple artistic styles.
- High levels of aesthetic ability, judgement and eye for detail.
- Excellent composition, lighting and colour theory skills and appreciation.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self-initiating, confident approach to their work;
- Keen understanding of cultural influences beyond games; movies, books, TV, comics etc.
- Ideas generation and iteration.
- High quality illustrative pieces.
- Demonstrable talent across all concept disciplines, in particular figurative, environment and object work.
We'd also ideally like you to have (although it's not a deal breaker):
- Shipped at least one AAA title.
- 3D modelling and rendering.
- Experience working in film, TV, publishing.
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexi-time and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, a gift card on your birthday, and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas to potentially be developed by Sumo, with Snake Pass being the first to go to market.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.