Head of Data Science
San Francisco, California
In a few short years, Sun Basket has become the leading personalized healthy eating platform in the United States by challenging the $650B grocery market with a fundamentally healthier, more convenient, and personalized way to eat. Sun Basket prides itself on a workplace culture that values health, diversity, integrity, excellence, community, and sunshine. We're looking for the best folks to join us on our mission to make the world a healthier place.
Sun Basket is a fast growing national meal kit delivery service rated #1 by Buzzfeed, backed by top-tier investors, and led by one of San Francisco's top chefs. As the company continues to explode in size, we are looking for a Principal Data Scientist that will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data to join our dynamic Product team and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products. If you are excited about creating personalized experiences for new and existing customers, using deep learning and machine learning to provide customized recommendations, and using your data science skills to glean insights from consumer behavior, this could be a great fit. You will work closely with the Head of Product Development, Data Engineers, and our Retention team to help better understand and target our business.
Sample Projects Include:
- Lead cross-functional efforts on customization and personalization.
- In collaboration with the Retention and Analytics teams, create data-driven customer cohorts and serve dynamic recommendations to them based on real time data.
- In collaboration with the Head of Product and Engineering, steer insights on content customization.
- Create meaningful presentations and analyses that tell a story focused on insights, not just data.
- Act as the principal technical expert identifying opportunities and shaping how we interact with costumers.
- Create various Machine Learning - based tools or processes such as recommendation engines or automated lead scoring systems to get a better and deeper understanding of our customers.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in technical or data-heavy field desired. BA/BS or significant academic experience in Computer Science strongly preferred.
- 10 -15 years of professional experience as a Data Scientist at an eCommerce company required.
- At least 5 years of experience creating or modifying personalization algorithms required.
- Demonstrable experience coding in Python and/or Java required.
- Significant professional experience at a subscription-based company preferred.
Personality and Values:
- Data-Focused, not Data-Obsessed: You have a passion for data and like to use that passion toward solving business problems that create tangible differences for an organization.
- Ready to Grow: As Sun Basket continues to grow, this team will likely expand, and your role with it.
- Passion for Food: Sun Basket brings healthy nutritious meals to thousands of people every week. Ideally, you like food and are excited to be a part of that.
Sun Basket is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability with respect to employment opportunities. We value diversity and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Act, individuals with a criminal background are encouraged to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Sun Basket, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military service status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We value diversity and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. In accordance with applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Sun Basket, Inc. also provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities or for sincerely held religious beliefs or practices to the fullest extent required by law. If you would like to request an accommodation or believe you have been subject to discrimination, please contact the Company’s Human Resources Department.