Founding UX Design Lead
We’re looking for a Founding Design Lead to join us as employee #2 to create & scale an end-to-end design process critical to our mission. Marigold Health exists to give every patient with a mental health or substance use condition (~25% of all American adults) a place to feel heard.
That product is a mobile platform for chat-based group support groups with a natural language processing (NLP) backend that automatically directs and visualizes clinically relevant sentiment within messages to inform providers. We sell directly to provider systems and payors so the most underserved patients can get 24/7, culturally competent support at no cost. Our NLP gives clinicians a 7-10x gain in patient capacity - allowing them the bandwidth to scale to the true magnitude of the mental health crisis.
The current team has roots in Johns Hopkins, and the clinical merit of our work has been recognized by organizations ranging from the National Institute on Drug Abuse to the American Psychiatric Association. We recently closed a seed round with top-tier VCs such as Felicis Ventures, General Catalyst, and Rock Health. We're already working with a range of providers, ranging from a community mental health center, to a nationally-recognized psychiatric facility.
We’re seeking someone formidable & compassionate to join our founding team FT.
Expect a mix of user research and visual design, with a focus on understanding user behavior.
Our Boston HQ has 3 working FT, with additional team members distributed. We value empathy, creativity, independent thinking, diversity, candor, and ambition.
What You’ll Do
- Establish an agile design process, including a system for collecting continual user research
- Build out the product's initial design system across multiple platforms (web, iOS, Android)
- Directly work with providers, patients, and healthcare executives during the design process
- Collect and analyze qualitative (e.g. user interviews) and quantitative (e.g. platform data) user data
- Support product roadmap decision-making
- Act as the company's voice for design excellence and proactively define the company culture you want
- This is a hands-on role involving ux design & research: develop wireframes/mockups, work with engineering to roll out new features, and iterate with user & a|b testing to make a product people love to use
What You Have / What You Think You Could Grow Into:
- A desire to improve mental health care for patients
- 3-5+ years experience in UI/UX Design with a focus on UX research and collaborating directly with developers
- Expertise in designing applications from concept, to launch, to iteration
- Experience designing across multiple platforms (web, iOS, Android)
- Eagerness to experiment with multiple domains, from product to branding
- Comprehension of multi-stakeholder design challenges unique to healthcare
- Experience designing delightful products for enterprise, especially dashboards & data visualizations
- Comfortable moving quickly via rapid prototyping in an agile environment
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively in a small, dynamic team
- Comfortable experimenting with multiple domains, from product to branding
- Proficiency in Sketch, Invision, or similar prototyping tools
What Success Looks Like:
- In 3 months:
- Aid in onboarding a clinical social worker hired to aid you in research
- Assess the need for and collaborate with product development, UI partners
- Develop prototypes of site-level dashboards & visualizations for payor executives
- Provide input to our branding team as we execute a company rebrand
- In 6 months:
- Delivery of a substantial novel UX product, starting from discovery and research phases
- Completed implementation of a robust pipeline of user and customer stakeholder interviews that bring consistent insights
- Implementation of a defined process to independently manage project work for with UX and the cross-functional team
- Flesh out provider-facing workflows within large provider/payor clients on web and mobile
- In 12 months:
- Consistent successful judgment calls = greater user (patients, providers & administrators) satisfaction, increased engagement, and improved clinical outcomes
- Effective collaboration within a design team and across company functions (e.g. product)
- Definition and ownership of the design function and its growth within the organization (flexibility to grow as an individual contributor or into leading a team)
What’s In It for You
- Shape the organizational culture of a mission-driven team in its earliest days
- Initiate & scale the design function of a rapidly growing startup, with significant influence in product and branding
- Significant equity as part of the founding team
- Competitive salary + perks
- Save lives by bringing support to those who would’ve never otherwise sought treatment
Inclusion is at the core of what we do. We’re working to bring care to the most underserved and stigmatized patients. We actively welcome applicants from a wealth of different backgrounds (including but not limited to race, gender, educational background, and sexual orientation). Unless we have diversity on our team and in our mindsets as we work together to move the needle on a deeply entrenched, systematic issue, we will fail.
Marigold Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Questions? Email shrenik [AT] marigoldhealth.com for more info.