Account Director, Social Good & Issues Advocacy
Atlanta, GA /
Communications – Social Good & Issues Advocacy /
Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis is proud to represent clients across many industries including entertainment, social good, tech and lifestyle and we tell their stories through a variety of mediums. We know that even during the toughest times, our responsibility to our clients and each other can bring meaningful and long-lasting impact for those affected the most. We’re proud of each and every campaign we execute, but you may be wondering why we don’t have more than a landing page as our website. While many of our clients are household names (you know them, we’re sure of it), our digital footprint is purposefully small. We fly under the radar and we like it that way.
If you are fired up and ready to do good, join us!
We have an immediate opening in our Atlanta office for a Public Relations Account Director with a focus on media relations to support social good clients - developing and executing comprehensive communications strategies for clients. For this role, you follow activists/organizers and their work from local communities to the world stage, and you understand how movements are built. As we enter a new political season, you’re excited about the possibilities to proactively advocate for progressive change. We are looking for someone who wakes up every day checking news about important social issues and knows how to communicate that work to voters across the country.
Our candidate is curious. While they will work on social good & advocacy clients, they are also likely to touch other clients such as events, CSR and issue focused campaigns. They see this as a challenge and opportunity to grow their skills.
Our account directors lead accounts (no surprise there), counseling the client, providing fresh ideas, motivating the team, ensuring goals are being met and…they still pitch! Our agency is integrated, and our Account Directors frequently work on accounts that involve aspects of brand integration, influencer integration, digital strategy, etc. While we don’t expect you to be fluent in all of these areas, we anticipate that this will excite you!
- Overseeing the development of comprehensive communications campaigns, directing tactics that may incorporate PR, digital planning, creative content, and talent including traditional media, digital media and owned media.
- Distilling complicated policy efforts to mainstream consumer speak.
- Navigating complex/sensitive client issues with thoughtful counsel.
- Maintaining and developing relationships with reporters and relevant stakeholders.
- Leading client accounts, managing teams, and keeping management updated on progress or concerns.
- Conducting media trainings, regularly pitching media, and consistently bringing new ideas/tactics to the table.
- Partnering and collaborating with senior level colleagues throughout the agency on integrated (and bi-coastal) accounts.
- Leading new business meetings and creating proposals as needed.
- Training and mentoring junior staff on the inner workings and executions of current policies, social good movements and campaigns, PR, media relations, and overall work approach. This is incredibly important to us!
- Responding to client requests and ensuring requests are taken care of in an efficient manner.
You should apply if:
- You have at least 8 years working in media relations, specific experience as a communications director, press secretary or related experience.
- You have political campaign, government or related experience.
- You have experience working in corporate social responsibility, corporate communications, community engagement, non-profit, public sector.
- You’ve managed a team with direct oversight for at least 2 years (of those 8 mentioned above). (Bonus points if you’ve managed colleagues/projects in multiple cities simultaneously.)
- You know how to navigate stakeholders, thought leaders, and media.
- You are a strong writer – persuasive, concise, creative, and quick.
- You have established press contacts and have your “go-to” folks to get that important message out.
- You are a strategic thinker, bring new ideas to the table, and love a good brainstorm.
- You have an innate curiosity and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- You are incredibly organized, detail oriented and able to excel at managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You enjoy overdelivering rather than meeting expectations and take genuine pride in being part of something good.
- You’re passionate about social movements, addressing the climate crisis, and fighting for justice and equity.
$80,000 - $90,000 a year
Benefits x Perks
We go well beyond the benefits that you’re looking for like medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with matching, annual merit-based bonuses, PTO, fertility, FSA for medical, childcare, and commuter expenses. Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis offers those benefits and many perks including, a flexible work schedule, Work from Anywhere program, Summer Fridays, Wellness Days, and a 4-week sabbatical or trip to celebrate select anniversaries. We love to socialize so, we have collaborative workspaces, some offices even have rooftops, celebrations, networking opportunities, and community volunteering. We frequently mark opportunities to listen, learn and act throughout the year (Juneteenth, Election Day, International Women’s Day, etc.).
SSM&L is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and ability. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, identity and expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
From day one, employees are carefully matched with a mentor to guide them on their path to success. Training and mentoring are a big deal here and since we are into promoting from within, we make sure to provide more than enough tools for you to learn and grow. We are proud to offer training throughout the year on topics for professional growth as well as personal growth. We have also developed a series of teaching workshops that are structured for each level of the company. Sunshiners also take love to take advantage of the monthly Meet the Media series where media contacts provide valuable insider info for pitching them and their colleagues.