Senior Account Executive, Social Impact
Washington, DC /
Communications – Social Impact & Issues Advocacy /
Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis is proud to represent clients across many industries including entertainment, social good, tech and lifestyle and we tell their stories through a variety of mediums. We know that even during the toughest times, our responsibility to our clients and each other can bring meaningful and long-lasting impact for those affected the most. We’re proud of each and every campaign we execute, but you may be wondering why we don’t have more than a landing page as our website. While many of our clients are household names (you know them, we’re sure of it), our digital footprint is purposefully small. We fly under the radar and we like it that way.
If you are fired up and ready to do good, join us!
We have an immediate opening for a Senior Account Executive with an understanding and previous experience working with media to promote social impact issues and non-profit organizations.
For this role, you understand how local or global trends contribute to positive social and sustainable change. You have a passion for doing good and making an impact. You are aware of the current aid climate and have a point of view. You can align stakeholders and organizations’ missions under a strategic communication plan and message it effectively across various media outlets. You have professional experience in community engagement, international aid or development, private sector, human development or nonprofit leading pitching, messaging, media moments and storytelling. We are looking for someone who wakes up every day checking everything from Devex, to POLITICO, to the Washington Post, to the Los Angeles Times.
- Pitching compelling and smart stories on behalf of our clients.
- Drafting, developing, and executing comprehensive communications strategies.
- Conducting thorough research on various topics, flagging relevant news updates for teams/clients.
- Drafting, editing and proofreading materials including press releases, blog content, pitches, fact sheets, FAQs, briefing notes, and client correspondence.
- Planning and executing media-specific moments including influencer events and press conferences. Support includes developing invite lists, managing RSVPs, wrangling media on-site, drafting and distributing post-event releases, etc.
- Partnering with senior managers on achieving deliverables for a full roster of clients (average of 4 – 6).Developing an impactful and trusting relationship with clients.
- Managing media contact lists to build relationships with new publications and media contacts.
- Participating in new business meetings, creating proposals as needed.
- Regularly bringing new opportunities for clients – media meetings, key introductions, etc.
- Proactively mentor and teach junior team members on account teams.
- Working with senior management to respond to client requests and ensure requests are taken care of in an efficient manner.
You Should Apply If
- You have 4+ years of experience in communications, politics, public relations, integrated media relations, etc.
- You enjoy pitching media.
- You are eager and understand all aspects of integrated communications (media relations, social media, creative, brand integration, talent integration)
- You are passionate about progressive causes and campaigns
- You are a strong writer – persuasive, concise, creative, and quick!
- You have a growing list of relationships with media across a variety of verticals and know how to leverage those relationships to bring real opportunities to clients.
- You are a strategic thinker, bring new ideas to the table, and love a good brainstorm.
- You have strong decision-making abilities and accountability; this is an important role, own it!
- You have an innate curiosity and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- You are incredibly organized, detail oriented and able to excel at managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You’re willing to work select evenings/weekends and travel when necessary.
- You enjoy overdelivering rather than meeting expectations and take genuine pride in being part of something good.
You don't HAVE to have this, but it sure would be nice
- Experience working with social causes or have been part of a social good campaign.
- A track record of success with placing cause stories in national or regional outlets.
- Interests beyond your track to date – we never like to stay in our lanes here and particularly like to combine entertainment and social good.
- Prevoius experience using media research tools like Cision.
$67,500 - $75,000 a year
Benefits x Perks
We go well beyond the benefits that you’re looking for like medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with matching, annual merit-based bonuses, PTO, fertility, FSA for medical, childcare, and commuter expenses. Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis offers those benefits and many perks including, a flexible work schedule, Work from Anywhere program, Summer Fridays, Wellness Days, and a 4-week sabbatical or trip to celebrate select anniversaries. We love to socialize so, we have collaborative workspaces, some offices even have rooftops, celebrations, networking opportunities, and community volunteering. We frequently mark opportunities to listen, learn and act throughout the year (Juneteenth, Election Day, International Women’s Day, etc.).
SSM&L is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and ability. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, identity and expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
From day one, employees are carefully matched with a mentor to guide them on their path to success. Training and mentoring are a big deal here and since we are into promoting from within, we make sure to provide more than enough tools for you to learn and grow. We are proud to offer training throughout the year on topics for professional growth as well as personal growth. We have also developed a series of teaching workshops that are structured for each level of the company. Sunshiners also take love to take advantage of the monthly Meet the Media series where media contacts provide valuable insider info for pitching them and their colleagues.