Account Executive, Social Good & Advocacy
Washington, DC /
Public Relations – Social Good & Issues Advocacy /
Sunshine Sachs is proud to represent clients across many industries including entertainment, social good, tech and lifestyle and we tell their stories through a variety of mediums. We know that even during the toughest times, our responsibility to our clients and each other can bring meaningful and long-lasting impact for those affected the most. We’re proud of each and every campaign we execute, but you may be wondering why we don’t have more than a landing page as our website. While many of our clients are household names (you know them, we’re sure of it), our digital footprint is purposefully small. We fly under the radar and we like it that way.
If you are fired up and ready to do good, join us!
We have an immediate opening for an Account Executive on our Social Goods & Issues Advocacy Team. What does this mean? For this role, you need to be a “political junkie.” You’re someone who checks Politico Playbook as soon as you wake up. We’ll want to know who your evening news anchor of choice is! Are you passionate about your views and have a legitimate opinion on policy? You also have a strong opinion about the Oscar nominees? You’re it for us! As our sweet spot lies in the intersection of social good and entertainment.
- Assisting in developing and executing comprehensive communications strategies.
- Conducting regular and thorough research on various political conversations and topics, flagging relevant news updates for teams/clients.
- Drafting, editing and proofreading materials including press releases, blog content, pitches, fact sheets, FAQs, briefing notes, and client correspondence.
- Conducting client media monitoring and developing media coverage/placement and analysis reports.
- Assisting in planning and executing media-specific events including media dinners, influencer events and press conferences. Support would include developing invite lists, managing RSVPs, wrangling media on-site, drafting and distributing post-event releases, etc.
- Scheduling and providing logistical support for client meetings.
- Supporting senior managers on achieving deliverables for a full roster of clients (average of 4 – 6).
- Creating and maintaining media contact lists to build relationships with new publications and media contacts.
- Participating in new business meetings, creating proposals as needed.
- Regularly bringing new opportunities for clients – media meetings, key introductions, etc.
- Working with senior management to respond to client requests and ensure requests are taken care of in an efficient manner.
- Support administration of accounts including developing agendas, meeting recaps, activity reports, client status reports, budget trackers, and updating press kits.
You Should Apply If:
- You have 3-4 years of experience in communications and/or politics.
- You are passionate about progressive causes and campaigns – from reproductive health to racial justice to voting rights to gun reform to everything in between.
- You have a clear sense of the political media landscape and are always on top of the latest breaking political news.
- You are a strong writer – persuasive, concise, creative, and quick! (Also, must support the oxford comma.)
- You have a growing list of relationships with media across a variety of verticals and know how to leverage those relationships to secure impactful media opportunities.
- You are a strategic thinker, bring new ideas to the table, and love a good brainstorm.
- You have strong decision-making abilities and accountability; this is an important role, own it!
- You have an innate curiosity and an entrepreneurial spirit…have a suggestion on making something better? We encourage you to do it!
- You are incredibly organized, detailoriented (see what I did there?), and able to excel at managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You’re willing to work select evenings/weekends and travel when necessary – our clients often need us to GO, GO, GO!
- You enjoy overdelivering rather than meeting expectations and take genuine pride in being part of something good.
- You make friends wherever you go. I mean, your co-workers are basically your roommates…don’t be uncool 😉
You don’t HAVE to have this, but it sure would be nice:
- Experience on a political campaign or in the office of an elected official.
- Experience working with advocacy causes or have been part of an advocacy campaign.
- A track record of success with placing political or cause stories in national or regional outlets.
- Relationships with cable news bookers and other political writers.
- Interests beyond politics – we never like to stay in our lanes here and particularly like to combine entertainment and social good.
- Previous experience using media research tools like Cision.
Sunshine Sachs offers medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k), annual merit-based bonuses, PTO and commuter benefits. Additional perks include, Summer Fridays, frequent celebrations, a flexible work schedule and company-organized volunteer opportunities. We frequently identify company-wide opportunities to listen, learn and act throughout the year (Election Day, International Women’s Day, etc.).
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, identity and expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
A Little More About Us:
Teaching and mentoring is an essential pillar at Sunshine. Through a company-wide mentor program, all Sunshiners are paired with both a mentee as well as a mentor who is invested in your success and growth. We organize monthly Meet the Media series during which media contacts visit the office to explain who they are, what they do and best practices for pitching them and their colleagues. We have also developed a series of teaching workshops that are structured for each level of the company. All Sunshiners participate by leading sessions for team members who are more junior to them.