Account Executive, Tech & Start Up PR
San Francisco, CA / Los Angeles, CA / New York, NY
Communications – Tech & Start Up /
Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis is proud to represent clients across many industries including entertainment, social good, tech and lifestyle and we tell their stories through a variety of mediums. We know that even during the toughest times, our responsibility to our clients and each other can bring meaningful and long-lasting impact for those affected the most. We’re proud of each and every campaign we execute, but you may be wondering why we don’t have more than a landing page as our website. While many of our clients are household names (you know them, we’re sure of it), our digital footprint is purposefully small. We fly under the radar and we like it that way.
If you are fired up and ready to do good, join us!
We have an immediate opening for an Account Executive in our growing Tech & Start Up practice. You’ve been doing this for a bit (about 3-4 years or so) and are looking for your next challenge and opportunity. This is a role for someone who has a specific interest in technology and experience with tech companies and start-ups. You have TechCrunch, WIRED, and Adweek bookmarked on your browser and have a genuine opinion on the potential success of a recently launched start-up (we will ask)! If you (more often than not) catch yourself lost in a rabbit hole of Fast Company, you're it for us!
- Assist in conceptualizing public relations and marketing strategies and ensuring that quality and relevant coverage is executed
- Conducting thorough research on various topics, flagging relevant news updates for teams/clients.
- Drafting, editing and proofreading materials including press releases, blog content, pitches, fact sheets, FAQs, briefing notes, and client correspondence.
- Conducting client media monitoring and developing media coverage/placement and analysis reports
- Creating and maintaining media contact lists to build relationships with new publications and media contacts
- Scheduling and providing logistical support for client meetings
- Assist in planning and executing media-specific events including media dinners, influencer events, and press events. Organize for media to attend events and provide media with on-site assistance.
- Supporting senior managers on achieving deliverables for a full roster of clients (average of 4-6).
- Managing media contact lists to build relationships with new publications and media contacts.
- Participating in new business meetings, creating proposals as needed.
- Regularly bringing new opportunities for clients – media meetings, key introductions, etc.
- Working with senior management to respond to client requests and ensure requests are taken care of in an efficient manner
- Providing administrative support to accounts including developing agendas, meeting recaps, activity reports, client status reports, budget trackers, and updating press kits.
- Proactively mentoring and teaching junior team members on account teams (really important for us)
You Should Apply If:
- You have about 3-4 years of experience in public relations
- You are eager and understand all aspects of integrated communications (media relations, social media, creative, brand integration, talent integration)
- You are a strong writer – persuasive, concise, creative, and quick!
- You have a growing list of relationships with media across a variety of verticals and know how to leverage those relationships to secure impactful media opportunities.
- You are a strategic thinker, bring new ideas to the table, and love a good brainstorm.
- You have strong decision-making abilities and accountability; this is an important role, own it!
- You have an innate curiosity and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- You are incredibly organized and able to excel at managing multiple projects simultaneously
- You’re willing to work select evenings, weekends and travel.
- You enjoy overdelivering rather than meeting expectations and take genuine pride in being part of something good.
- You understand that we're in a relationship business. How you treat your co-workers, your clients, and the media matters!
$60,000 - $67,500 a year
Benefits x Perks
We go well beyond the benefits that you’re looking for like medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with matching, annual merit-based bonuses, PTO, fertility, FSA for medical, childcare, and commuter expenses. Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis offers those benefits and many perks including, a flexible work schedule, Work from Anywhere program, Summer Fridays, Wellness Days, and a 4-week sabbatical or trip to celebrate select anniversaries. We love to socialize so, we have collaborative workspaces, some offices even have rooftops, celebrations, networking opportunities, and community volunteering. We frequently mark opportunities to listen, learn and act throughout the year (Juneteenth, Election Day, International Women’s Day, etc.).
SSM&L is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and ability. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, identity and expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
From day one, employees are carefully matched with a mentor to guide them on their path to success. Training and mentoring are a big deal here and since we are into promoting from within, we make sure to provide more than enough tools for you to learn and grow. We are proud to offer training throughout the year on topics for professional growth as well as personal growth. We have also developed a series of teaching workshops that are structured for each level of the company. Sunshiners also take love to take advantage of the monthly Meet the Media series where media contacts provide valuable insider info for pitching them and their colleagues.