Account Manager, Strategy & Crisis
New York, NY /
Public Relations – Strategy & Crisis /
Sunshine Sachs is proud to represent clients across many industries including entertainment, social good, tech and lifestyle and we tell their stories through a variety of mediums. We know that even during the toughest times, our responsibility to our clients and each other can bring meaningful and long-lasting impact for those affected the most. We’re proud of each and every campaign we execute, but you may be wondering why we don’t have more than a landing page as our website. While many of our clients are household names (you know them, we’re sure of it), our digital footprint is purposefully small. We fly under the radar and we like it that way.
If you are fired up and ready to do good, join us!
We have an immediate opening for an Account Manager in our New York office on our Strategy & Crisis Team. This role will support a variety of clients in public affairs, issues management, infrastructure, real estate, legal, banking/finance, healthcare, etc. It’s yours if you are someone who is passionate about your work and are cool and calm under pressure. You’re the type of person who can read a room well, you know when you command and own it and you also know when you take a step back. You’re so focused on the best strategy to a problem that you don’t have time to get star-struck! We are looking for someone who wakes up every day checking everything from POLITICO, to the WashingtonPost, to the Los Angeles Times.
Account Managers are comfortable managing a small to medium sized account and sometimes larger accounts as the primary point person for the client but still needs someone senior for gut checking, oversight, setting the strategy, and high-level client meetings. They may lead and project manage a portion of larger accounts or lead smaller accounts.
They are proficient at understanding integrated communications and know how to get results, exceed client expectations, think creatively for a client, ensure the client and internal team are happy (both are equally important).
- Developing and executing detailed strategies aimed at achieving client goals
- Managing public affairs campaigns, including engaging with media executing stakeholder mapping exercises
- Participating in new business processes and using data, analytics, and competitive research to inform strategic proposals
- Serving as primary point of contact for clients
- Strategic problem solving for teams and clients
- Demonstrating excellent judgment and discretion in difficult client and staff situations
- Appropriately identifying and flag client concerns
- Securing impactful press placements and thinking outside the box to create media moments
- Developing and executing strategic media plans, including rapid response with the press to help shape client perspectives
- Proactively mentoring/managing junior team members on client account teams
- Providing thoughtful and constructive feedback for team members’ annual reviews
- Taking ownership and responsibility for success of teams and projects you manage
You Should Apply If:
- You have at least 5-7 years of public relations experience, with a focus on public affairs, political campaigns, or crisis communications
- You have 1-2 years of direct oversight of client account teams and experience with high level client interaction
- You have experience handling crises/issues , such as recalls, litigation, labor relations, and/or restructurings; familiarity with high-stress situations like demonstrations, health crises, or on-site management of press conferences.
- You thrive in high-pressure situations and embody maturity and professionalism in managing them.
- You understand how all areas of PR (media relations, social media, creative, brand integration, talent integration) work together as part of a complete strategy, including when and how to use social media in a campaign or crises.
- You know how to “create news” for clients to produce media moments.
- You have established relationships with regional and national media and can leverage those relationships to secure impactful media opportunities.
- You manage up and down effectively and efficiently and can deliver constructive feedback to team members in a respectful and effective way.
- You are positive, proactive and solutions-oriented.
- You enjoy overdelivering rather than meeting expectations and take genuine pride in being part of something good.
Sunshine Sachs offers medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k), annual merit-based bonuses, PTO and commuter benefits. Additional perks include, Summer Fridays, frequent celebrations, a flexible work schedule and company-organized volunteer opportunities. We frequently identify company-wide opportunities to listen, learn and act throughout the year (Election Day, International Women’s Day, etc.).
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, identity and expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
A Little More About Us:
Teaching and mentoring is an essential pillar at Sunshine. Through a company-wide mentor program, all Sunshiners are paired with both a mentee as well as a mentor who is invested in your success and growth. We organize monthly Meet the Media series during which media contacts visit the office to explain who they are, what they do and best practices for pitching them and their colleagues. We have also developed a series of teaching workshops that are structured for each level of the company. All Sunshiners participate by leading sessions for team members who are more junior to them.