Senior Software Engineer
Mill Valley, CA /
Full Time - Remote
SupplyHound is automating the procurement process for professional builders and their suppliers.
Every year professional builders in the U.S. waste an estimated 2 billion hours sourcing and acquiring the raw materials necessary to do their jobs. The companies supplying these materials also face painful inefficiencies, often buried in data entry and juggling fragmented communication.
SupplyHound is on a mission to improve the $10 trillion/year construction market by becoming the preferred operating system connecting builders and suppliers by streamlining workflows for processing orders and fulfilling delivery. We verified early product/market fit by creating an app-based on-demand logistics service and have a strong user base actively using our products in two markets, all without any formal sales or marketing. We recently raised our first round of institutional capital to help grow our team and accelerate growth.
We are a small team so as we expand our culture will inevitably develop and grow through the addition of new hires. That said, there are some key principles that we are aiming to hold onto throughout this journey and that we look for in new hires:
- We are curious, not cool.
- We are pragmatic, not dogmatic.
- We strive to be kind, always.
- We value and respect each other and our customers.
- We know that diversity of perspective and background is crucial to building healthy, successful teams.
We are looking for smart, kind folks like yourself to join us on this journey, bringing unique perspectives and ideas and helping to make SupplyHound a joyful, exciting place to work.
- 100% health insurance + 50% for dependents
- Laptop provided
We are hiring Sr. Software Engineers to help develop SupplyHound’s ordering and logistics functionality. This role will work closely with the CEO to interpret what the product needs, consider the tradeoffs of each approach, and then architect the solution. Joining at this early stage will enable you to have a huge impact on the direction of the codebase as it matures and grows.
The CEO, Jim Margolis, is based out of Mill Valley, but we are a distributed team, welcoming applicants from anywhere within the U.S.
Our stack is Ruby on Rails and Typescript + React. While it’d be great for candidates to have experience with one or more of these technologies, our priority is hiring smart, curious folks who learn quickly and are down to own complex initiatives from start to finish. The majority of work on our near term roadmap will lean toward backend work, but our ideal candidate is game to work on either side of the BE/FE divide as needed in these early, scrappy days.
- 3+ years of technical experience.
- Experience owning a major feature or functional area.
- Strong communication skills, including written (extra important given the distributed nature of the team).
- The ability to architect reliable, maintainable systems.
- The ability to pragmatically discuss pros and cons of different approaches, amidst shifting priorities.
- Interest in solving user problems, not just technical challenges.
- Thrive working in diverse, collaborative, team environments.
Expected impact at
- Successfully onboarded to the codebase and shipped a few small features/fixes to production.
- Begun reviewing peers’ pull requests, helping to catch issues with maintainability, reliability, and correctness.
- Become familiar with the details of SupplyHound’s strategy, vision, and roadmap.
- Shipped a major feature to production.
- Proactively provide suggestions on how our architecture, tooling, and practices should evolve to handle changing needs.
- Contribute to discussion and decision making regarding the product vision/roadmap.
- Have developed domain expertise within a large swath of the application, by shipping and iterating on several major features and a large variety of more minor features and fixes.
- Have taken action on earlier suggestions, making substantial improvements to the fundamental architecture/tooling/practices of the codebase/team.
- Architect increasingly sophisticated functionality as the product grows, e.g. leveraging voice and/or image recognition ML systems, smoothly integrating with third party tools, etc.