Palo Alto, CA /
The internet is broken.
Yes, we have access to more information than ever before, but too often, hate and misinformation win. What if we could remake the internet into a place of trust, kindness, and facts? And what if we had technology to actually help us through complex decisions?
We are on a mission to build a better internet. Using the latest NLP and AI technology, we’re experimenting with radically new ways to help our users confidently make better decisions. It’s an audacious goal by any standard, but we’re ambitious people. We’re looking for a few more ambitious folks to join the founding team.
We’re not just wide-eyed dreamers – we’re pragmatic doers, too. Our founder and CEO, Richard Socher previously started an AI company called MetaMind. Salesforce acquired the company, and Richard became Chief Scientist, leading the company’s AI efforts. Prior to MetaMind, Richard received the best PhD thesis award from Stanford for his groundbreaking work on deep learning. Bryan McCann, co-founder and CTO, is a scientist and philosopher who led natural language processing teams at Salesforce after completing his Masters in CS at Stanford. Our founding team members have built companies worth hundreds of millions of dollars and scaled software to serve millions of users. For fun, we run marathons, paramotor, write poetry, read Latin, hike, and camp in the middle of nowhere.
If this sounds intriguing, say hello! We’re in stealth mode for now, so the company description is a bit vague – but we can tell you more once we you apply. You’ll be working closely with the founding team to apply cutting-edge AI and natural language processing to the most important consumer problems of our time.
About the Job
We are looking for amazing new teammates to help us build the foundations of design for a complex, information-rich, consumer-facing product.
Your thinking will be woven into our product for decades, so it’s essential that your work is thoughtful, nuanced, and careful. At the same time, you should enjoy working on a product that’s in the chaotic, nascent stages of development: this means the project criteria are vague, and you’ll need to be comfortable experimenting rapidly and iteratively. Rigorous, data-supported thinking is appreciated, but you should also be comfortable relying decisively on finely-honed intuition when clear answers aren’t available.
You should be excited by the opportunity to define the visual language and the design process for the new internet together with the rest of the team. You should be excited to own portions of the design process that best match your past experience and work with us to hire additional designers so that we can build a balanced, world-class design team. You want to champion, revise, and refine your contributions all the way through to deployment. Finally, you should deeply resonate with our vision to build a new internet on trust, kindness, facts, and empathy.
We are looking for designers of all kinds — reach out and tell us what your ideal role and title would be as part of our team. You can use the statements below to understand some of the immediate needs we see, but we imagine many of these needs will be split across multiple hires depending on the skill composition of each individual. Many, but certainly not all, of these statements should likely resonate with you:
- You naturally align with our vision and values
- You want to take on the responsibilities now or in the future of a Lead Designer or Head of Design role
- You want to be involved in the visual aspect of creating a new internet, but you also want to influence product direction and explore novel intersections between AI and Design
- You enjoy testing your hypotheses in a tight user-validated feedback loop
- You want to play an active role in the entire lifetime of your work from design to the magical experience it creates for users, working with teammates throughout product, design, and engineering
- You have a strong portfolio, whether it is a collection of professional, academic, or personal projects
- You are passionate about technology, a scientific approach to development, and experimentation in the product and across all parts of the organization
- You want to be part of defining and building a team around a vision and technology that has a direct path to improving the daily lives of people all over the world
- You bring expertise in a particular area of UX Research, UX Design, UI Design, or Product Design *or* you are a Design Generalist / Designer-Who-Codes
- If you’re expertise is in UX Research, then you’ve worked in UX related to consumer software products and interfaces used by a broad cross-section of global users. You have led critical research efforts and multi-phase, mixed-method studies that have produced crucial insights into user experience and product strategy.
- If you’re expertise is in UX/UI/Product Design, you’re proficient with tools like Figma, Sketch, or Adobe Creative Suite and enjoy creating high-fidelity prototypes of your designs. The closer you work with engineers, the more you should be able to bring your designs to life by defining CSS and React components that define our visual language
We are an equal opportunity employer: your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status don’t matter. We’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace that is effectively distributed around the world.
• Competitive salary and equity
• Great health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
• 401(k) plan
• Unlimited time off (4+ weeks encouraged annually)
• Generous parental leave
• Flexible work hours