Embedded Firmware Engineer
Palo Alto, CA
Swarm Technologies has developed the world’s smallest two-way communication satellites. Through our constellation we provide low-bandwidth, low-cost connectivity to return data from anywhere on Earth, focusing on regions without cell or WiFi coverage. Our unique economics make Swarm’s network, ground hardware, and web platform accessible at the industry’s lowest costs to deliver maximum value to customers. Swarm provides IoT tracking and data relay services for industrial/sensor networks, particularly those in the maritime shipping, agriculture, energy, and ground transportation industries.
We are a team of engineers, scientists, and startup operators who have previously worked at NASA, Google, Apple, Skybox/Terra Bella, venture-backed companies, and in academia. We’re actively looking for teammates who share our passion for reshaping global connectivity.
Swarm is looking to hire a full-time embedded firmware engineer with solid experience on a bare metal development platform to join our team starting immediately.
- Design, develop, implement, test, working in C and C++, embedded firmware functionality on cortex M series & ESP32 processors for space communication network (including freeRTOS firmware for space and ground hardware).
- Work with key stakeholders to establish requirements, generate architecture proposals, implement functionality, and lead design reviews.
- Develop and execute testing and validation processes and where applicable proactively develop, implement, and improve procedures/processes.
- Independent judgment, while being a part of a larger team, is required to plan, prioritize and organize a diverse workload.
- MA/MS Electrical Engineering, Communications Engineering, or Software Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience with embedded systems development using ARM (ST, ATMEL, other cortex-M processors), Eclipse, GNU GCC. Experience with ESP32 family of processors.
- Experience working in bare metal environments using embedded RTOS or specific peripheral libraries.
- Experience with communications systems, architectures; RF lab testing is preferred.
- Willingness to accept high degree of uncertainty, jump in to help wherever needed, get hands dirty, and wear multiple hats in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Experience working with ESP32 processor and freeRTOS firmware on a commercial application.
- Experience developing systems that have challenging integrated hardware/firmware.
- Experience getting complex systems functional; ability to diagnose system to identify if hardware or firmware issues causing problems.