Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA - Remote /
Play a key part in the growth of an industry innovator in data engineering automation and big data analytics.
Switchboard serves globally-recognized enterprise customers in digital media and marketing. Our customers are running at scale in production where we are essential to help them deliver innovative products and grow revenue. Our founding team built and launched Google BigQuery. We have more than a decade of experience working in concert with engineering to bring enterprise-grade market-leading SaaS products to market.
You are passionate about building and taking ownership of an early-stage startup. Partner with the CTO and Chief Architect to build out a world-class platform for DataOps, one of the fastest-growing enterprise opportunities. Build a compiler to perform static checks on Switchboard Script, a language derived from SQL to describe data pipelines, and to run that language on large datasets using Spark. Partner with our Customer Success team to evolve that language to be easily used by data analysts, folks who are very smart but are not programmers.
You are an engineer who
- Has experience writing compilers. Can wrangle ANTLR, build out the symbol table, implement compile time checks, and translate SQL to Apache Spark's API.
- Has experience with microservices. Can deploy the compiler as an HTTP server in a Kubernetes cluster.
- Understands the end-user, in this case data analysts, and invents language elements that they can readily pick up.
- Can own and execute mission-critical feature iterations, while working collaboratively with engineers across the entire application stack.
- Understand how critical well-tested components are for team velocity, and you use metrics to maximize system performance.
- Possess a learning mindset. An authentic drive for personal growth and empowering the same for others.
- B.S. or advanced degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years experience developing in an object oriented language (Python & Scala a plus)
- 1+ years with ANTLR
- 1+ years experience with Apache Spark
- 1+ years experience with SQL
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a team player with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Automated functional and load testing
- Experience deploying and troubleshooting in production environments
- Familiarity with AWS and Kubernetes a plus
Switchboard enables enterprise business teams to be data-driven with minimal engineering investment. When our co-founders launched Google BigQuery in 2012, they saw first-hand that the amount of data companies were grappling with was rapidly outstripping their ability to utilize it. Switchboard was created to help solve this problem.
Our ready-made data unification platform turns disparate data into a single source of reliable, trustworthy information. Business stakeholders at Spotify, Meredith Corporation, The Financial Times, Pearson and others have left behind outdated spreadsheets and custom engineering projects. Today, they rely on Switchboard to make confident decisions that engage audiences, optimize yield and spend, and grow revenue.