Affinity Selection Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) Scientist/Lead Scientist
Bioscience – High Throughput Screening /
Sygnature Discovery is a world-leading integrated drug discovery Contract Research Organisation based in the UK and Canada with its headquarters in Nottingham and additional facilities in Alderley Park, Macclesfield, Glasgow, Montreal and Quebec City. Its staff of over 1,000, which includes 900 scientists, partners with global pharma, biotech and NFP organisations.
Since 2004, Sygnature Discovery has delivered over 40 novel pre-clinical and 22 clinical compounds, with its scientists named on over 170 patents. Therapeutic areas of expertise include oncology, inflammation and immunology, neuroscience, metabolic diseases, infectious diseases, fibrotic diseases and more. To find out more, please visit www.sygnaturediscovery.com.
About the role
The application of Affinity Selection Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) for hit identification is a high-priority endeavour at Sygnature Discovery and is underpinned by significant capital expenditure investment. We are now seeking an appropriately qualified individual to lead and/or support establishing the technology and developing end-to-end validated workflows for ASMS-based hit identification and validation within our high-throughput screening (HTS) group. This role will drive our strategic vision to provide high quality ASMS-based hit-finding services to clients within our integrated drug discovery framework.
Principal responsibilities will include
- Leads establishment of ASMS technology within Sygnature.
- Develops end-to-end validated workflows for ASMS-based hit identification and confirmation within our high-throughput screening (HTS) Group.
- Identifies and drives new opportunities in ASMS utilization and capability development, including evaluations of novel techniques and tools.
- Adopts lead superuser role for ASMS equipment to include provision of user training, protocol set-up, assistance with analysis, maintenance of equipment, recommendations around service contract.
- Designs and executes personal experiments independently to time and quality, running multiple work streams in parallel as appropriate.
- Understands and supports all project related objectives and milestones of the team and communicates project results directly, confidently, and constructively with clients.
- Has a wider involvement in business-related activities such as quote generation, BD/marketing material, promoting Company capabilities at conferences, meetings etc.
- Develops and maintains awareness of, and contribute to, project strategy.
- PhD (or equivalent experience) in analytical chemistry or a related field.
- Relevant mass spectrometry-based experience of screening small molecule libraries in biotech or pharmaceutical industrial environments. This profile would also include expertise in the design, development, validation, and execution of ASMS/MS characterization of ligand-target interactions and quantitative data analysis.
- Practical experience of ASMS technology.
- Application of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) for identification of novel ligand-target interactions relevant to small molecule drug discovery campaigns.
- Utilization of various assay platforms (e.g., biochemical, biophysical, cellular) coupled to MS-based small molecule affinity screens.
- Experience in both two-dimensional liquid chromatography (2D-LC) and size exclusion chromatography (SEC).
- A demonstrated track record in application of scientific method to problem solving and troubleshooting LC and MS technical issues.
- A good understanding of the principles for hit identification and validation.
- Solid understanding of data analysis principles as applied to large data sets and familiarity with data analysis software packages with particular focus on small molecule MS analysis.
- Skilled in data organisation and downstream reporting of MS data to other disciplines e.g., medicinal chemistry, pharmacology.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and team working skills.
In return you will receive an excellent training and benefits package, including a highly competitive salary which is reviewed annually, a bonus scheme, a well-regarded pension scheme, and private medical insurance. All our benefits are tailored to enhancing your experience at Sygnature as it is important to us that you share in our success.
We also recognise that the environment you work in is a priority, so we have built a collaborative and supportive culture with plenty of opportunities to grow and succeed, tailored to individual and business needs. This includes an excellent set of bespoke training and development courses to accelerate both your scientific and personal career growth.
For more information, visit www.sygnaturediscovery.com/careers.
If you’re interested in joining a company that places people at the heart of its business, please apply through the link and include:
1) Your CV
2) Confirmation of your status of eligibility to work in the UK (we can consider sponsoring potential employees with relevant levels of qualifications and experience under a Skilled Worker Visa).
Your application will be submitted through our trusted partners, Lever, but only employees of Sygnature Discovery will review your application and personal data.
We will be interviewing on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you.
If you have any questions or need further information, please contact the Careers team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit your application to this email address.