Geospatial Production Associate
Belgrade, Serbia /
Machine Learning /
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera is scaling carbon markets with software. We do this by applying advanced machine learning techniques to satellite data to quantify with unprecedented accuracy the amount of carbon stored in landscapes - and then we visualise that data to our customers.
We believe the transparency Sylvera provides will enable carbon markets to have a more positive impact on the world in a shorter space of time. This will be critical in keeping the planet under 2C of warming and provide huge wider benefits to nature and society.
Founded just 2 years ago, Sylvera has now scaled to over 100 employees across the world and has raised over $30m from leading VCs like Index Ventures and Insight Partners. We’ve also collaborated with leading institutions - University College London and UCLA.
We're on a super steep trajectory over the next couple of years - we want incredible people that are as passionate as we are about the mission and want to build an amazing organisation with us to achieve it.
What will I be doing? 👩💻👨💻
Having found early product-market fit in a nascent, rapidly growing space, we’re now scaling our geospatial and data science teams at pace. We’re looking for a mission-driven Geospatial Analyst to join our cross functional data science team to support data extraction, processing and analysis
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Supporting extraction of critical input vector data from primary source material, e.g. project area mapsQA/QC of input vector data and landcover mapping results from the machine learning team
- Contributing to the design of data storage and access solutions and practices
- Writing / supporting development of code to automate and scale creation of geospatial analytical products, such as land cover maps, zonal statistics, visualisations, etc.
- Those who are successful will progress quickly, either as individual contributors or following a management path.
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Cares deeply about the climate and ecosystems of earth
- Has plenty of experience with using GIS software for data creation, visualisation and analysis, preferably open-source GIS software such QGIS, GDAL, and OGR.
- Is very comfortable interacting with various geospatial data structures and formats, e.g. rasters, vectors, etc.
- Has an in-depth understanding of geospatial / analytical concepts such as coordinate systems, projections, cartographic analysis, and raster math
- Familiarity with databases, data standards / best practices, and data quality control
- Has 2+ years of experience writing Python code to support geospatial data acquisition, extraction, and processing
- Is experienced with geospatial / scientific Python libraries e.g. xarray, geopandas, numpy, pandas, sklearn, shapely, rasterio, etc.
Nice to have:
- Being familiar with machine learning concepts and remote sensing
- SQL skills
- Web mapping
- Experience with Docker as a deployment mechanism
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS)
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- Salaries benchmarked to the top 25% of the industry
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Half Day Fridays - 2pm finish every Friday
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
- Remote GMT +/-3 (with access to an office in London/Belgrade if you wanted to come in)
Our Values 🙌
We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
Our business is built on revealing truths and debunking misperceptions.
Do What’s Right - Even When It’s Hard
The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate with Kindness
Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
- We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
- Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.