London, England /
Multi-scale Lidar /
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera provides carbon data for genuine climate impact.
Purchasing credits through the carbon markets is one of the most established and scalable ways to channel finance from the private sector to effective climate solutions and work toward societal net zero. Unfortunately, the voluntary carbon markets have been plagued with mistrust and a lack of effectiveness since they’ve emerged – until Sylvera.
We produce the most accurate and trusted data about the carbon markets so that businesses and governments can confidently invest in, deliver, and report on real climate impact. Some of the world’s largest corporations, consultancies, and financial services institutions rely on Sylvera for their climate investment decisions.
Our team is made up of the leading minds in climate change from scientists to academics. We work in partnership with scientific organisations, universities, governments and think tanks to develop and test rigorous and holistic ratings methodologies, leveraging the latest technology. Founded in 2020, Sylvera has 150+ employees across the world with offices in London and Belgrade. We’ve raised over $35m from leading VCs like Index Ventures and Insight Partners to date.
Having found early product-market fit in a nascent, rapidly growing space, we’re now scaling our infrastructure team at pace. We’re looking for mission-driven, Field Analyst to join our multi-scale lidar (MSL) team, who are collecting state-of-the-art laser scanning measurements of the world’s forests. These data are being used to estimate biomass and carbon stocks across landscapes with unprecedented accuracy, and have the potential to transform our understanding of these ecosystems, and to incentivise their protection and restoration. We are looking for an experienced field researcher whose specific responsibilities will include:
- Collecting terrestrial and UAV lidar data, alongside conventional measurements of forest structure, during months-long field campaigns around the world (e.g., in Gabon, Indonesia, and Mozambique)
- Ensuring these data are of consistently high quality
- Contributing to the planning of these field campaigns, including for health & safety
- Assisting in the development and formalisation of our methods (e.g., writing field protocols and risk assessments)
- Maintaining high-tech field equipment
- Pre-processing UAV data with geo-referencing data
- Training will be provided as needed for data collection, UAV and equipment operation, and data pre-processing.
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Is creative problem-solver who is culturally sensitive with excellent communication skills, and would enjoy working long days in the field
- Has strong people management skills, with the ability to navigate relationships with our local partners
- Has the ability to thrive in challenging environments (think camping in remote locations with limited facilities, or encountering snakes and insects in unwanted places!)
- A background in a numerate or technical discipline (including but not limited to electronics, physics, engineering, computing, environmental science, forestry)
- The ability to travel for up to 3 months at a time, spending a minimum of 7.5 months out of the country in a year
- Is a team player, with a curious and optimistic attitude, and pays attention to details
Nice to have:
- Electronic or mechanical skills (including soldering, 3D printing, battery technology, mechanical engineering, or electronic engineering)
- A working knowledge of Portuguese, Spanish, French, Indonesian, or Malay
- Previous experience working with lidar sensors and/or drones, or the ability to problem solve on technical equipment/sensors
- Previous fieldwork experience in tropical and/or remote environments
- Experience with GIS and/or land surveying
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Half Day Fridays - 2pm finish every Friday
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
UK based (with flexibility to travel abroad)
Our Values 🙌
Own it: We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
Stay curious: Our business is built on transparency and debunking misperceptions.
Do what’s right - even when it’s hard: The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate with kindness: Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.