VP Policy (US)
New York /
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera provides carbon data for genuine climate impact.
Purchasing credits through the carbon markets is one of the most established and scalable ways to channel finance from the private sector to effective climate solutions and work toward societal net zero. Unfortunately, the voluntary carbon markets have been plagued with mistrust and a lack of effectiveness since they’ve emerged – until Sylvera.
We produce the most accurate and trusted data about the carbon markets so that businesses and governments can confidently invest in, deliver, and report on real climate impact. Some of the world’s largest corporations, consultancies, and financial services institutions rely on Sylvera for their climate investment decisions.
Our team is made up of the leading minds in climate change from scientists to academics. We work in partnership with scientific organisations, universities, governments and think tanks to develop and test rigorous and holistic ratings methodologies, leveraging the latest technology. Founded in 2020, Sylvera has 150+ employees across the world with offices in London and Belgrade. We’ve raised over $35m from leading VCs like Index Ventures and Insight Partners to date.
What will I be doing? 👩💻👨💻
The VP Policy, US, is responsible for setting Sylvera’s policy, regulatory and public affairs strategy in the USA to shape our external environment and ensure our long-term success in America. Working closely with the SVP Corporate Affairs, VP Policy, Co-Founders and leadership team.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Building trust and credibility in Sylvera and carbon markets, by establishing policy opportunities for the business, while mitigating for policy or regulation that may hinder the business’ and broader sector’s development
- Developing policy positions, including both effectively communicating convincing high-level arguments that will allow us to build consensus around a position, and engaging at a detailed and technical level
- Liaising with the Commercial, Product and Legal teams in order to establish these policy positions, and setting the right cadence for ongoing iteration
- Managing stakeholder outreach, with comprehensive and systematic mapping, and ongoing monitoring
- Leading policymaker engagement, briefing politicians, their advisors, civil servants and other influential stakeholders, and building strong relationships over time
- Establishing relationships with relevant industry bodies, representing the business and building consensus around policy positions in these forums
- Developing thought leadership on relevant issues as set out in the strategy, and disseminating this through participation at conferences and relevant forums
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Approximately 10 years policy and public affairs experience, ideally within a fast-growth tech environment or policy / public affairs agency
- Advanced knowledge of the political landscape and legislative processes in the USA is essential, with UK and the EU knowledge a nice to have at this point, but with an appetite to learn and build capability in future
- Excellent strategist; will proactively identify issues, assess risk and the chances of success, and offer solutions and recommendations
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with experience of successful advocacy and consensus building around policy positions
- Intellectually curious, creative thinker, strong analytical ability and enjoys problem-solving in a collaborative manner, with experience of managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues, and can then distil in simple terms a complex asset, sector and regulatory landscape
- Comfortable dealing with senior stakeholders, and representing the business and sector with policymakers and within industry forums
- Politically astute, able to navigate complex stakeholder landscapes, and has an appreciation of how public policy and corporate communications work closely together to achieve corporate affairs goals
- Cares deeply about the climate and ecosystems of the earth
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Half Day Fridays - 2pm finish every Friday
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
Commuting distance to NYC (with access to a NYC based office)
Our Values 🙌
Own it: We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
Stay curious: Our business is built on transparency and debunking misperceptions.
Do what’s right - even when it’s hard: The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate with kindness: Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.