London, England /
Operations & Strategy /
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera is scaling carbon markets with software. We do this by applying advanced machine learning techniques to satellite data to quantify with unprecedented accuracy the amount of carbon stored in landscapes - and then we visualise that data to our customers.
We believe the transparency Sylvera provides will enable carbon markets to have a more positive impact on the world in a shorter space of time. This will be critical in keeping the planet under 2C of warming and provide huge wider benefits to nature and society.
Founded in 2020, Sylvera has now scaled to over 100+ employees across the world and has raised over $30m from leading VCs like Index Ventures and Insight Partners. We’ve also collaborated with leading institutions - University College London, UCLA and NASA JPL.
We're on a super steep trajectory over the next couple of years - we want incredible people that are as passionate as we are about the mission and want to build an amazing organisation with us to achieve it.
What will I be doing? 👩💻👨💻
Having found early product-market fit in a nascent, rapidly growing space, we’re now scaling our Finance team at pace. We’re looking for a mission-driven, Financial Controller to bring rigour to our accounting, tax and compliance.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Managing all core financial operations including management accounts, payroll, tax, treasury and reporting.
- Supporting the company’s international expansion plans (US & APAC) and becoming an expert in international tax/ compliance requirements as we incorporate more entities and have an increasingly global workforce.
- Preparing our financial accounts, tax returns (UK and US) and UK R&D tax credit claims.
- Preparing the company for its first financial audit and supporting fundraising due diligence activities.
- Leading the financial control function by building and developing a best-in-class accounts team to support the business as it scales.
- Managing the implementation of a scale up ERP.
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Is ACA/ACCA-qualified (or equivalent) with significant experience working in a financial control function and has experience with financial audits.
- Is an Excel/ Google Sheets super user
- Is a self-starter who thrives in constantly evolving environments, ideally with early-stage SaaS experience.
- Has excellent attention to detail and understands the importance of having robust, timely and accurate numbers to enable data-driven decision-making across the business.
- Leverages a tech stack to automate day to day tasks and has worked with both Xero and scale up ERPs.
- Feels equally comfortable getting stuck into the nitty-gritty of a reconciliation and looking at the bigger picture to produce insightful reports for our leadership team and investors.
- Has tax experience including UK and US employee equity plans, VAT, R&D tax credits and US federal and state level tax returns.
- Cares deeply about the climate and ecosystems of the earth.
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Half Day Fridays - 2pm finish every Friday
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
- UK (with access to a London based office)
Our Values 🙌
We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
Our business is built on revealing truths and debunking misperceptions.
Do What’s Right - Even When It’s Hard
The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate With Kindness
Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
- We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
- Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.