Head of Comms
London, England /
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera is scaling carbon markets with software. We do this by applying advanced machine learning techniques to satellite data to quantify with unprecedented accuracy the amount of carbon stored in landscapes - and then we visualise that data to our customers.
We believe the transparency Sylvera provides will enable carbon markets to have a more positive impact on the world in a shorter space of time. This will be critical in keeping the planet under 2C of warming and provide huge wider benefits to nature and society.
Founded just 2 years ago, Sylvera has now scaled to over 140 employees across the world and has raised over $30m from leading VCs like Index Ventures and Insight Partners. We’ve also collaborated with leading institutions - University College London and UCLA.
We're on a super steep trajectory over the next couple of years - we want incredible people that are as passionate as we are about the mission and want to build an amazing organisation with us to achieve it.
What will I be doing? 👩💻👨💻
As our first communications hire, this person will be responsible for building the corporate communications function from the ground up, in order to raise the profile of Sylvera with key audiences and tell a compelling and consistent story to all of our stakeholders.
Working closely with the co-founders and leadership team, you will:
- Build awareness and understanding of the business and sector among opinion formers
- Identify opportunities to raise the company’s profile including media commentary and speaking events
- Build strong relationships with relevant journalists and manage the press office
- Lead corporate announcements, coordinating internally and externally
- Develop thought leadership, working closely with subject matter experts, Marketing and Design to bring our campaigns to life
- Think deeply about reputation management and horizon scan for future reputational risks
- Ensure consistency of messages internally and externally
- Work closely with the Policy team on amplifying advocacy work, to inform policy making and regulation of a nascent market
- Work closely with the People team on internal messaging and comms, including the newsletter and all-hands
- In time, build resource and capability as the business grows and comms challenges become more complex
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Approximately 5-8 years corporate comms experience, ideally within agency or a fast-growth tech environment, who is looking to take the next step and build the function for the first time
- Exceptional written and communication skills
- Intellectually curious, strong analytical ability and enjoys problem solving in a collaborative manner
- Able and willing to first understand, and then distil in simple terms, a complex asset, sector and regulatory landscape
- Comfortable dealing with business, finance and tech press, and has started to build relationships in this space
- Politically astute, able to navigate complex stakeholder landscapes, and has an appreciation of how corporate comms and public policy work closely together to achieve corporate affairs goals
- A self-starter who thrives in constantly evolving environments
- Cares deeply about the climate and ecosystems of the earth
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Half Day Fridays - 2pm finish every Friday
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
- UK (with access to an office in London if you wanted to come in)
Our Values 🙌
- We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
- Our business is built on revealing truths and debunking misperceptions.
Do What’s Right - Even When It’s Hard
- The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate With Kindness
- Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
- We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
- Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.