Multi-scale Lidar /
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera provides carbon data for genuine climate impact. Our mission is to incentivize investment in real climate action.
Purchasing credits through the carbon markets is one of the most established and scalable ways to channel finance from the private sector to effective climate solutions and work toward societal net zero. Unfortunately, the voluntary carbon markets have been plagued with mistrust and a lack of effectiveness since they’ve emerged – until Sylvera.
To help organizations ensure they're making the most effective investments, Sylvera builds software that independently and accurately automates the evaluation of carbon projects that capture, remove, or avoid emissions. With Sylvera's data and tools, businesses and governments can confidently invest in, benchmark, deliver, and report real climate impact.
Our team is made up of the leading minds in climate change from scientists to academics. We work in partnership with scientific organisations, universities, governments and think tanks to develop and test rigorous and holistic ratings methodologies, leveraging the latest technology. Founded in 2020, Sylvera has 150+ employees across the world with offices in London, New York and Belgrade. We’ve raised over $96million from leading VCs like Balderton Capital, Index Ventures and Insight Partners to date.
What will I be doing? 👩💻👨💻
We’re looking for a Research Technician to join operations in the Field Data Science team. Our mission is to accurately define the carbon stored across the world’s natural ecosystems, and our team carries out fieldwork around the world to measure carbon stocks in tropical forests and other ecosystems. These measurements are collected with an array of highly specialised scientific equipment, including laser scanners and commercial UAVs, amongst others.
As a Research Technician, your specific responsibilities will involve:
- Building out and running a process for effective equipment inventory and management
- Owning equipment procurement, insurance, maintenance, servicing, and storage when it’s not in the field, as well as managing and developing strong manufacturer relationships
- Day-to-day operational support ranging from reserving flights, coordinating customs and shipping, and contributing to research applications and project budgets
- Working closely with our field team, including on health & safety and equipment usage in the field
- Potential for some fieldwork experience in one of our study locations
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Is highly proactive and a quick learner, with a positive and hands-on approach
- Has excellent organisational skills, with great attention to detail and the ability to multitask
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills
- Is able to come into our central London office a few days per week (flexible days)
- Enjoys practical or mechanical work with hardware and electronics
- Cares deeply about the climate and ecosystems of the earth
- Prior experience in stock control and/or equipment management
- Training in COSHH and/or manual handling
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Early finishes on fridays whenever we can
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
UK based (with flexibility to travel abroad)
Our Values 🙌
Own it: We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
Stay curious: Our business is built on transparency and debunking misperceptions.
Do what’s right - even when it’s hard: The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate with kindness: Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.