Various Roles at Symmetry investments
Business Management – Flexible /
Symmetry Investments is a global investment company with offices in Hong Kong, Singapore, London, Jersey and Cayman Islands. We have been in business since 2014 after successfully spinning off from a major New York-based hedge fund.
At Symmetry Investments, we seek to engage in intelligent risk-taking to create value for our clients, partners and employees. We derive our edge from our capacity to generate Win-Wins – in the broadest sense. Win-Win is our fundamental ethical and strategic principle. By generating Win-Wins, we can create unique solutions that reconcile perspectives that are usually seen as incompatible or opposites, and encompass the best that each side has to offer:
We integrate fixed-income arbitrage with global macro strategies in a novel way.
We invent and develop technology that focuses on the potential of human-machine integration.
We build systems where machines do what they do best, supporting people to do what people do best.
We are creating a collaborative meritocracy: a culture where individual contribution serves both personal and collective goals - and is rewarded accordingly.
We value both ownership thinking AND cooperative team spirit, self-realization AND community.
Symmetry Investments is a post startup USD 7+ billion alternative asset management company with around 230 people across multiple time zones and locations.
Our core technology team has been remote-first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, post-COVID.
I'm one of the three people running the firm, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm.
We are four years into a period of transformation from what was initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager. [Amaury Sechet](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR4PSExnqk), [Andrei Alexandrescu](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U7WAlKpQ) and [Atila Neves](https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/) have been working with us as long-term consultants and we have many other talented people with lower public profiles.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming, but are oriented towards solving business problems, with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. SIL can compile and call C++ and D at runtime; Python interop is in alpha; and C# is on the way. What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D and we have a close involvement with the D Foundation and community, hosting DConf in London. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Haskell, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and CIO starts asking you questions about your work.
Roles we're hiring for
- Business Analysts: business analysis, documentation, team and tool design
- Native Code Developers: We are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D. Our experience has been that strong C and C++ developers can learn D quite quickly.
- Functional Developers to work with Practitioners using Symmetry Integration Language to deliver value to the business.
- Documentation: At Symmetry we recognise the value of writing and have for example a Pulitzer prize-winning former WSJ journalist and a maintainer of Linux Kernel Newbies documentation. We are looking for people to write technical documentation and to document data structures and processes (open to varying range of technical ability depending on the project).
- Designers for documentation. Now that non-programming internal work is moving to markdown in git, we are hiring designers to work on templates and mini-logos for documentation and other work.
- Information Security: incident response, threat intelligence, vuln management
- Platform: Platform as Code, Site Reliability Engineers, Windows desktop support; frontline server support and administration
- Legal and Compliance: #lawyerswhocode or who are very comfortable working with markdown in git
- Accounting: are you the sort of person who would use #ledger-cli ? If so, we would like to hear from you.
- Business: risk, operations, administrative, organisational design and business strategy, investor relations processes
- Investment: Economics, Quant, Portfolio Research, Investment Research, Portfolio Management and Trading
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning, alternative data research and management
- Dlang (D)
- we do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
Qualities and traits we value
- Courage and daring
- Phronesis (practical wisdom), common sense and commercial orientation
- Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be
- Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
- Inclination and ability to notice and understand links between seemingly-unrelated things
- Extreme motivation
- Mechanical sympathy
- Extreme and unusual intellectual capabilities
- A love of tinkering
- Good taste and love of beauty
- Presenting SIL-cling to Compiler Research Group at Princeton (https://youtu.be/7teqrCNzrD8)
- Symmetry Internship Project - calling C++ from SIL (http://dconf.org/2020/online/index.html#alexandru)
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://youtu.be/FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://youtu.be/1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)