Principal Software Engineer (Remote USA)
Symphony Commerce is an emerging leader that provides fully managed Commerce and Fulfillment as a Service to brands throughout the world. Our platform allows teams to focus on what they do best - create and market amazing products - without requiring them to master the nuances of running a great online store, managing dozens of online sales channels, or fulfilling their products.
As a Principal Engineer at Symphony, you’ll be helping lead the next wave of transformation of our core platform, and helping us prepare for additional complexity as we begin to launch international markets. We’re working on everything from how to begin to host a large, multi-tenant platform from multiple regions simultaneously to how we engineer a highly scaled data pipeline to provide our customers real time visibility into the performance of their brand across markets. We need smart, driven engineers to take ownership of some of the bigger opportunities, and lead teams across the platform to deliver them.
HOW YOU CAN HAVE AN IMPACT
- Lead the architecture and design of our platform, including our migration toward more globally distributed services
- Raise the bar in terms of code quality, helping our teams ship software more often
- Work with our executive team to develop our technical roadmap, then help execute it
- Coach and mentor our junior team members as they tackle even larger problems
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- At least 7 years experience developing large, enterprise-scale applications (the language is up to you, but Java or Python is a plus)
- Experience designing and developing service oriented architectures (SOA, micro-services, etc.)
- At least 2 years working closely with frontend teams to develop high performance applications that handle megabytes of data (bonus points if you’ve worked with NodeJS or Go)
- Experience with both relational (MySQL) and non-relational databases (Dynamo, Mongo, etc.)
- Good communication skills, particularly when it comes to mentoring other aspiring engineers
- Passion to find (and help other seek) elegantly simple solutions to often complex problems in an environment where speed to market matters
- Position requires 10% travel to SF Office and working hours are PST
- Experience working in a startup environment and/or remotely
- Place trust in your coworkers, support ideas with data, and adjust your approach as needed.
- Ask for advice, don’t assume you have all the answers, seek to learn something new every week.
- Learn to see the world through your customer’s eyes. Ensure your work has had the right impact, and be a constant advocate for fixing bugs and making improvements, however small.
- Speak up when you see a risk, are getting behind, or need help and encourage others to do the same.
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Retirement (401k)
We pride ourselves on a culture where we can move quickly, as do most startups. What differentiates us is that we what we do isn’t defined purely with software - there is a tangible intersection with the real world, and what we do here has a major impact on the success of other established and emerging brands.