Senior Product Counsel
CA, TX, FL, AZ, NY /
Synapse is a Banking as a Service (BaaS) provider with a clear mission, to ensure that everyone around the world has access to best-in-class financial products, regardless of their net worth. Synapse’s unified platform provides industry compliant payment, card issuance, deposit, lending, credit, investment and crypto products through simple APIs. We are the only BaaS provider that enables builders to launch feature complete deposit, credit and crypto products in weeks.
Our culture and values are simple and straightforward. We share a general concern for the well-being of others and strive to build a safe and inclusive environment for everyone. Our work style is collaborative and action-oriented. We are a team of conscientious, hard workers who also share a common sense of purpose. As we accelerate our growth, your career and opportunities will grow as well making it an exciting time to join Synapse.
Synapse’s Legal Team works collaboratively at the cross-roads of technology, financial services, business processes, law and regulation. As Senior Product Counsel, you will be integral in assisting Synapse in continuing to expand its global reach and steering the way for intelligent and thoughtful product development. Senior Product counsel advises both internal and external stakeholders on the forefront of its product initiatives in the ever-changing regulatory and legal landscape where financial technology services sits.
What You Will Do
- Provide legal guidance throughout the product development lifecycle for new and existing products and features
- Key advisor to Synapse’s leadership team and the engineering, sales, partnership, customer service, compliance, risk, marketing, and product teams on a broad range of issues related to product development and commercialization
- Spearhead compliance with regulatory requirements related to new and existing products including but not limited to financial services, licensing, consumer protection, regulatory reporting, data security and privacy, marketing, advertising and IP issues
- Interface with regulators during regulatory exams and in the course of routine regulatory reporting as necessary
- Review product and sales collateral for internal and external stakeholders
- Support customer facing teams in articulating legal requirements and regulatory landscape of products
- Work with Synapse’s commercial counsel to draft, review, update and negotiate relevant documents for product and service offerings, including customer and third-party service provider agreements, strategic financial partnerships, user agreements and requisite disclosures, and work with various teams to ensure proper compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Help build effective and scalable processes for launch of new products and features
- Administer and facilitate product training across the organization on regulated products
- Remain up-to-date on U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with payments, financial services, privacy, data security, consumer protection
What You Will Bring
- 6+ years of experience as a lawyer at a top law firm, in-house legal team, preferably working with financial services or financial technology companies on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the technology space
- A JD degree from an ABA-accredited university and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- Solid experience in financial technology, payments and financial services
- Experience with card, bank and payment method scheme rules, financial regulations, crypto currency, credit offerings, and/or broker dealer rules are a huge plus
- Experience with data privacy and GDPR compliance is a huge plus
- Experience preparing user agreements and other necessary documentation related to financial product offerings is a huge plus.
- Demonstrable ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly
- Passion for working towards providing best-in-class financial products globally
- An entrepreneurial spirit -- a self-starter who thrives in a fast paced environment, deals well with ambiguity and focuses on driving impact
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) – able to effectively communicate complex technical, product, legal, and regulatory issues in a clear and concise manner
- Strategic thinker – able to analyze situations and arrive at creative and efficient solutions that proactively help Synapse avoid issues before they arrive
- Resilient – when faced with challenges, you persist forward and continue to iterate to find solutions
- Collaborative and team player – work effectively with others
- Excellent judgment and capable of making strong recommendations
- Excellent project management and organization skills
- Ability to work under tight and demanding timelines
- Compensation is expected to be between $1750,00 - $225,000. Exact Compensation may vary based on skills and location.
What We Offer
- 💰Competitive Compensation
- 🍎Insurance (Medical/Dental/Vision)
- 💚401(k) with company matching up to 4%
- 🏝PTO & Holidays
- ✨Life Insurance & LTD
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. Synapse provides equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, genetic information or any other category protected by federal, state and local laws.