San Francisco, CA /
Accounting & Finance /
At Synapse, our mission is to accelerate the democratization of best in class financial products for everybody. Synapse is a banking platform that enables companies to provide financial products to their customers.
We're looking for a Controller to help provide Synapse with the infrastructure needed to meet our growth goals. You will be working closely with our CFO and senior leaders to ensure that our books are kept up to date and accurate for quick decision making and reporting.
Our future Controller will be exceptionally detail oriented yet efficient and have a deep understanding of GAAP. As a leader, you will need input from a variety of employees and thus be an effective collaborator. Your ability to lead and build teams, troubleshoot, and create foundational systems in a high paced environment is critical to this role.
We're a quickly growing team so an open mind and flexibility is critical as we scale!
- Preparation and review of timely and accurate management reporting packages and Board packages
- Monthly analysis of business results, finance and operating metricsDeveloping, managing, and enforcing GAAP-compliant procedures
- Performing and managing the monthly and quarterly close processes
- Managing billing/accounts receivables and accounts payables processesBuilding out a best-in-class infrastructure (systems, people, etc.) to support the company’s growth
- Manage daily cash and prepare cash-flow reports, projecting cash needs at weekly and monthly intervals
- Managing payroll budgeting and auditing payroll for accuracyEnsuring a smooth external audit process by creating and maintaining internal controls, establishing and maintaining appropriate records and managing the audit process
- Anticipating and evaluating business needs to make sure that financial organization and systems appropriately support the company’s growth
- Managing internal and external teams and vendors by setting expectations, training internal staff accountants and developing training modules and templates
- 5-7 years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; concentration in accounting or finance preferred
- Big 4 experience and CPA or CPA candidate preferred
- Strong knowledge of corporate finance and other accounting theory, principles and practices to include GAAP, SaaS accounting, prepaid expenses & accrued revenue, ASC 605: Revenue Recognition, ASC 985-605: Software Revenue Recognition, ASC 805: Business Combinations and ASC 718: Stock-Based Compensation
- Ability to prepare statistical reports and analyze financial reports
- Proficient in three statement financial modeling
- Knowledge of research techniques to analyze data and make recommendations
- Ability to describe accounting systems and processes in written correspondence and in procedure manual format
- Mastery of Microsoft Office; accounting software including QuickBooks, Xero, NetSuite, Expensify and Bill.com; and budgeting software such as Grow, Domo, and Spotlight
- Comfort in a fast-paced startup environment and able to create structure and foundational accounting processes
- Strong priority management and communication skills
- Competitive Salary
- Growth Potential
- Insurance (Health//Dental//Vision)
- One Medical membership
- 401(k) with company matching
- Monthly commuter allowance, for travel to and from work (when the world opens up!)
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees.
We are looking for top notch individuals who are seeking a challenge. Our company is growing quickly. This is an exciting time to join our team. If you are interested in adding value to our team, please apply and we will be in touch.