AI Ethics Engineer
San Francisco, CA
We are looking for AI Ethics Engineers who have a strong ethical code (pun intended) and are concerned with creating a positive future for AI. Currently, AI runs the risk of inheriting human biases which may threaten or undermine financial inclusion. However, if specific risks are properly managed, AI and machine learning applications show substantial promise in propelling financial technology.
Our machine learning engineers are helping us build an automated backoffice. In traditional banks, back offices are filled with humans. Their job usually is to verify physical documents (like government issued IDs, proof of address, proof of income documents etc), fill out forms, and search for people on google (no joke) and other sites.
Instead of using people, we want to use machines to do these things. Here is our reasoning behind this: If we can automate the back office, then we will not have costs associated with customers like traditional banks. We would be able to offer state of the art finance products to everyone at a low cost, regardless of their bank balance. (Usually banks charge monthly management fees to people with lower bank balance, aka people with lower socioeconomic status - we want to break that cycle).
Check this out: https://medium.com/synapsefi/insto-instant-account-opening-a2aac88bc0dd. Everything here uses machine learning, from instant government ID verification, to video authentication to social media verification.
As we are building out these tools, we are worried that human biases will be ingrained in our models as well. So we are looking to hire some AI/Machine Learning folks to help us mitigate this risk. This is a good summary of what we are trying to accomplish with this role: https://medium.com/synapsefi/positive-future-ai-b8d6cba24c7e
What you will be working on:
- Ensuring that our machine learning models are performing as expected
- Testing models for any hidden biases
- Performing stress tests to ensure quality standards
- Building diagnostic tools that will ensure best practices for AI products
In order to be successful at Synapse, you should have:
- A drive to help democratize best in class financial products
- An ability to work independently within a small, fast-paced team
- An entrepreneurial spirit and unrelenting passion to deliver the best service possible
- The ability to implement feedback, learn quickly, and contribute new ideas
- A general concern for the wellbeing of others and the desire to work on problems that maximize a positive future for humanity
- Experience with Python, with strong love for writing tests
- Experience with Tensorflow, PyTorch, Numpy
- Experience with working on computer vision or NLP problems
- Ability to write clean, reliable code that can be easily maintained
- Ability to solve problems and identify areas of improvement
- A background in Philosophy (a focus in Ethics is a plus!)
- Growth Potential
- Competitive Salary
- Insurance (Health // Dental // Vision)
- Catered lunch and commuter benefits
- $80K - $100K
- 0.0% - 0.07%
We are looking for top notch individuals who are seeking a challenge. Our company is growing quickly. This is an exciting time to join our team. If you are interested in adding value to our team, please apply and we will be in touch.