Co-Founder’s Executive Assistant
Synapticure is a specialty telehealth clinic transforming the experience and outcomes of neurodegenerative disease for patients and caregivers. In 2021, Brian Wallach and his wife, Sandra Abrevaya (an ALS patient and caregiver) founded Synapticure to address the fragmented and inaccessible clinical and care system patients with neurodegenerative disease often face. Its model brings specialist clinicians, care coordination, behavioral health, and additional services into one integrated care experience for patients.
Treating people in all 50 states living with ALS, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, Alzheimer’s, and related Dementias, Synapticure partners with health plans, providers, patients, and community organizations, backed by Google Ventures, Optum Ventures, and other top healthcare investors, to improve the lives of the more than 10 million Americans living with neurodegenerative disease.
We’re excited to work with you!
About the role
At 37, Brian Wallach was diagnosed with ALS, a (currently) 100% terminal disease. In the six years since diagnosis, Brian and his wife, Sandra Abrevaya, have relentlessly worked to turn this disease from fatal to chronic. In doing so, they have co-founded Synapticure, a fast-growing telemedicine company for neurodegenerative diseases and I AM ALS, a patient-led, ALS advocacy nonprofit working to accelerate cures. Their story and mission have been covered nationally in pieces by NPR, Politico, STAT News, and many more.
For this role, we are looking for someone to help Brian communicate and execute his visions for both Synapticure (75% of time) and I AM ALS (25%). Because Brian’s ALS prevents him from typing and most people from immediately understanding him, these communication responsibilities include translating for Brian on calls with Synapticure’s investors (e.g., GV, Optum Ventures, etc.), collaborating cross-functionally with both Synapticure and IAA teams, and managing Brian’s inboxes and calendars. In short, you will be a partner-in-crime for one of the country’s leading healthcare advocates.
What does the day-to-day look like?
Every day in this role brings about exciting, new challenges that evoke even more innovative and robust ideas. From meetings with leading clinicians and researchers to stakeholders and investors to advocates and policymakers, every day presents a new opportunity to change the world of healthcare.
Although the exact day-to-day differs, some tasks include:
- Communication and Translation:
- Support Brian’s communication by representing his voice (i.e., “translating”) on Zoom and phone calls (Synapticure, IAA, etc.) and help write/craft emails.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Synapticure’s Product, Finance, Clinical Ops, Telemed Ops, and Executive teams to drive the company’s growth.
- Partner with Brian to build and execute I AM ALS-related endeavors, including but not limited to fundraising, community-building, and government relations.
- Administrative Support:
- Manage and coordinate calendars, appointments, and meetings.
- Prioritize, track, and manage emails, phone calls, and messages.
- Anticipate needs and proactively handle tasks to meet deadlines.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, accommodations, itineraries, and expenses/reimbursements when needed.
- Handle sensitive information with discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate professionalism, compassion, and understanding in all interactions.
The right person for this role is:
- Willing to learn in front of others and unafraid of making mistakes in the process;
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to anticipate needs before they emerge;
- An excellent verbal and written communicator within a wide array of contexts and with a multitude of stakeholders;
- Deeply empathetic for people living with NDs, their families/caregivers, and the clinicians who serve them;
- Passionate about advancing personalized treatment for neurodegenerative diseases;
- Excited to learn (and act on those lessons!) on the fly
- Experience with and enthusiasm for early-stage startups and venture capital (preferably healthcare-related);
- Experience in a fast-paced, always-busy environment;
- Experience setting and managing priorities and calendars
-With Synapticure, you will be a full-time employee eligible for:
-Competitive salary and vacation;
-Generous health, dental, vision, and parental leave policies;
-With IAA, you will be an independent contractor paid monthly
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Synapticure is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law.