Medical Billing Assistant
Synapticure aims to provide neurodegenerative patients, starting with ALS, access to the best care while fueling the advancement of personalized treatments for every type of ALS. We. do so by providing end-to-end clinical care using our telemedicine platform to guide patients through their entire care journey. We are devoted to helping patients, from guidance on care and insurance to providing the full spectrum of investigational and clinical testing to improve outcomes. Synapticure was built by leading patient and caregiver advocates alongside leading ALS clinicians, biotech executives and telemedicine executives to bring the ALS care and treatment experience into the 21st century, and is backed by the leading Venture funds and Angel investors in the remote health and life sciences space.
Synapticure is a for-profit entity that aims to give all ALS patients access to the best care while fueling the advancement of personalized treatments for every type of ALS. We do so by creating a guided journey for each patient, their caregiver and family that educates and empowers while facilitating access to critical tests and leading experts. De-identified data is then used to both inform personalized treatments for patients today and to speed the development of new targeted therapies for each variant of ALS.
You will manage the medical billing and coding, financial follow up and patient advocacy in support of Synapticure's overall mission of providing enhanced ALS care. To serve thousands of individuals and their families diagnosed with ALS per year, Synapticure requires effective, knowledgeable and compassionate team members as well as competent, adaptable and forward-thinking individuals to execute on a new and exciting endeavor in the ALS community.
- Adhering to HIPAA guidelines and standards, prepare and submit billing data and medical claims to insurance companies and patients.
- Examine patient bills for accuracy and request any missing information.
- Investigate and appeal denied claims.
- Collect and review referrals and pre-authorizations. Follow-up on missed payments and resolve financial discrepancies. Help patients develop patient payment plans.
- Provide advocacy support on behalf of patients and families with clinical providers, billing and insurance companies, and other partners in the care team as needed.
- Maintain billing software by updating rate change, cash spreadsheets, and current collection reports.
- Maintain accountability to ensure high quality standards in client and partner interactions ensuring the highest levels of privacy and confidentiality.
- Follow standardized processes including operating procedures, quality assurance and documentation, in order to create high levels of efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Cultivate positive and effective relationships within the multidisciplinary Care Coordination and broader Synapticure team to ensure a streamlined and supportive experience for patients. Collaborate with internal teams to ensure appropriate representation of Synapticure to external audiences.
- Speak expertly internally and externally about the program and company.
- 2 or more years’ experience as a medical biller or similar role.
- Demonstrable understanding of billing software and electronic medical records.
- Experience in a startup or organization that has experienced rapid growth and change.
- Ability to multitask and manage time effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding problem-solving and organizational abilities.
This position is remote and work would be based in your home. The necessary technology will be provided to work out of your home.
Position is full time/exempt with competitive salary and benefits package including health insurance offering. Salary range for this role is competitive depending on the candidate’s level of experience.