Senior Manager, Business Development
Redwood City, CA /
Strategy – Strategy & Business Development /
We are currently seeking a Senior Manager of Business Development (Sr Mgr, BD) to join our team and further Synthego’s strategic partnerships and alliances with pharmaceutical, biotech, and academic partners. The Sr Mgr, BD position will report to the Global Head of Business Development. This Sr Mgr, BD is primarily a work-from-home position with occasional travel required. Preferred locations are San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, or San Diego. This role will work alongside the scientific, commercial, and executive teams at Synthego supporting the development of strategies and tactics to source, develop, negotiate, close and implement strategic partnerships and collaborations in the dynamic field of genome engineering. This role is part of the team leading a critical function within the company as we scale our technology, capabilities, and new knowledge in the quest to transform complex biology into predictable, scalable science.
What You'll Do:
- Identify, research, and develop future business development opportunities. Support business case development by robust data-driven financial modeling of partnering scenarios for strategic partnerships, including in- and out-licensing opportunities
- Develop new proposals and secure new business with technical team support. Close and support the implementation of strategic collaborations and partnerships in the genome engineering space, including applications in cell and gene therapies and biotech/pharmaceutical companies engaged in drug discovery
- Lead or represent BD function in cross-functional projects within the company with the product, R&D, legal and executive teams to develop and implement corporate strategies that capitalize on Synthego’s capabilities and technological developments. Collaborate with Market Research and Strategy teams on making data-driven recommendations to the executive leadership
- Represent Synthego at the trade shows and meetings with external partners and prospects in the biotech and pharma sectors. Arrange discussions with prospective partners; understand partner’s objectives and fit for Synthego solutions
- Align internal stakeholders towards a common strategic goal or partnership and oversee the partner relationship management and implementation process
- Proactively enable value creation in the forefront of a dynamic and impactful field that is fundamentally changing the life sciences.
- University degree in the fields of biological sciences, genome engineering, or related field
- Strong valuation and financial modeling experience as part of a management consulting firm or investment bank, with expert level hands-on ability to create valuation models
- 2+ years in corporate strategy or business development roles with a proven track record in the pharmaceutical and/or biotech space, exposure to sourcing, structuring, negotiating, and closing strategic partnerships
- Familiarity with intellectual property, patents, and contract law, ability to learn fast
- Experience with biopharmaceutical business or corporate development and strategy functions, life science or pharmaceutical technology search and evaluation teams or biotech business development with exposure to key aspects of strategic business development
- Working knowledge of the therapeutic discovery and development processes from early discovery R&D through clinical trials and commercialization, including key risks, variables, and value inflection points
- Exposure to cell and gene therapy and GMP manufacturing experience is a plus
- Ability to influence others to reach common goals and facilitate decision-making process without formal authority
- Strong analytical synthesis skills and an ability to work in unstructured environments
- Independent thinker and builder who can develop and align stakeholders with new and innovative strategies and tactics
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Significant attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Highly creative problem solver
- Confident, proactive approach with the drive to take the initiative
Company Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Generous equity at a rapid growth company
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k Plan
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Synthego is a genome engineering company that enables the acceleration of life science research and development in the pursuit of improved human health.
The company leverages machine learning, automation, and gene editing to build platforms for science at scale. With its foundations in engineering disciplines, the company’s platforms vertically integrate proprietary hardware, software, bioinformatics, chemistries, and molecular biology to advance basic research, target validation, and clinical trials.
By providing both commercial and academic researchers and therapeutic developers with unprecedented access to cutting-edge genome engineering, Synthego is at the forefront of innovation, accelerating the development of truly engineered biology.
Beginning January 4, 2022, Synthego requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. New hires will be given a grace period of eight (8) weeks to comply with this mandate. This requirement is a condition of employment at Synthego, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Synthego site or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability, a medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have the opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.