Director of New Products
Redwood City, CA
The Director of New Products to own the New Products Introduction (NPI) process that will be responsible for identifying new product opportunities within the genome editing market, developing & implementing a fast-paced customer-centric testing process and setting the overall direction of product development in alignment with Synthego’s strategic goals. The ideal candidate has a creative, solution-finding, entrepreneurial mindset with a keen attention to detail and a deep passion for creating product solutions in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
This role, reporting to the VP of Strategy and Innovation, will be responsible for product ideation, voice of customer, technical content development, competitive analysis, messaging & product testing through early stages of product development, and will work with the Director of Product Growth to ensure transfer of product vision and information. S/he will develop and streamline processes to rapidly & effectively test new products, and ensure efficient transfer of successful products to the Growth team. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that Synthego quickly identifies and builds an innovative suite of products that are commercially successful.
What You'll Do
- Have a deep understanding of Synthego’s strategic goals and translate them into a product vision
- Develop and implement a fast-paced, customer-centric product testing process that delivers a clear data-driven direction
- Build a pipeline of innovative product concepts that will fuel Synthego’s product roadmap and growth for the short and long term
- Build and manage New Product Core Teams that can effectively execute on the product testing process
- Develop a business case for each product, as it goes through the NPI process, driving data driven decisions
- Identify and develop strong relationships with industry partners and key opinion leaders to create and test Synthego products
- Drive products that were successful in early testing towards the beta phase of the NPI process, with a successful transition of the product vision to the Product Growth team
- Provide leadership and exercise decision-making regarding priorities, best practices, methodologies, and setting an agile product management culture
- PhD in Life Sciences field with knowledge of CRISPR or other genome engineering technologies
- 7+ years of broad-based, progressive product management experience in the life science industry or drug discovery industry
- Must possess a broad understanding of the life science industry, preferably having worked in companies at the intersection of science and technology
- A successful history of providing strategic and tactical direction for a rapidly evolving and growing a market leading portfolio of biotechnology products and solutions.
- Strong presence and ability to clearly discuss and communicate product value and benefits.
- Ability to learn quickly and applying learnings in a tangible manner to the role.
- Ability to develop and nurture a team of product managers, scientists & product marketers
- The leadership skills to inspire others in a matrix organization and infuse them with a passion for the development of proposed products and services.
- The ability to anticipate and lead change through the organization, equipping people to adapt quickly.
- Creative, self-driven problem-solver, with ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Experience maximizing customer linkages and aligning resources with strategic priorities.
Company Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary
- Generous equity at an early stage company
- Robust medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401k Plan
- 4x daily Shuttle bus to & from San Francisco (more locations to come)
- Fully stocked kitchen and snacks
- Free catered lunches and dinners
Synthego’s vision is to turn biology into an information science, with the ultimate goal of dramatically extending the healthy human lifespan.
Synthego builds advanced bioinformatics and automated hardware platforms to create next-generation molecular biology tools, starting with full-stack genome engineering.
These world-class tools accelerate basic scientific discovery, critical disease cures and novel synthetic biology applications to improve and prolong life.