Software Engineer, Fresh Graduate (Android & Backend)
Who we are
Tajir is the one-stop shop for mom-and-pop stores in Pakistan to buy inventory. Tajir is the first Pakistan-focused company funded by Y Combinator. Our latest funding round was led by Kleiner Perkins and YC Continuity, with participation from Flexport, Dylan Field (Co-founder & CEO of Figma), and Austen Allred (co-founder & CEO of Lambda School), among others. Learn more about us in Forbes and TechCrunch.
We have a small but mighty engineering team that has already built a vital service that tens of thousands of stores rely on every day. However, we have still only built <1% of our roadmap -- to build the rest, we need a world-class engineering and design team.
Why join Tajir?
Tajir is the ideal place to launch your career as a software engineer -- we offer the best learning experience for new graduates of any software company in Pakistan.
We have a strong culture of mentorship. We devote 20% of our time towards mentoring new engineers, give detailed feedback on each pull request, and encourage pair programming.
You ship code starting week 1. At Tajir, you ship your first code within your first week of starting. We practice learning by doing.
Our engineers know both "what" to build, and "how" to build it. At Tajir, engineers not only write code but also talk to customers, propose features, make product decisions, and solve complex operations challenges. Engineers stand at the vanguard of most major company initiatives.
What we look for
- Experience building a non-academic project from scratch. This could be a contribution to open source code, a personal project, or a significant project at an internship. Without exception, we have hired every engineer who has shown us an impressive personal project.
- Curiosity -- an unrelenting desire to learn and grow.
- Humility -- we have no tolerance for inflated egos.
What to expect at Tajir
- Week 1: Ship your first code, usually a change isolated to <5 files.
- Weeks 2-3: Work on minor feature requests & bug-fixes to grow familiar with our codebase.
- Weeks 4-8: Ship your first significant feature spanning changes to multiple files and subsystems.
- Beyond: Ship increasingly complex projects. Specialize in either data engineering, back end engineering, or front end development.
Our tech stack
Our Android app is built with Java and Kotlin using an MVVM Clean architecture. Our back end is built primarily with Python and Flask, and deployed to Google Cloud via Docker. Our data is primarily persisted by PostgreSQL.