Senior Data Engineer
Who we are
Tajir is the one-stop shop for mom-and-pop stores in Pakistan to buy inventory. Tajir is the first Pakistan-focused company funded by Y Combinator. Our latest funding round was led by Kleiner Perkins and YC Continuity, with participation from Flexport, Dylan Field (Co-founder & CEO of Figma), and Austen Allred (co-founder & CEO of Lambda School), among others. Learn more about us in Forbes and TechCrunch.
We have a small but mighty engineering team that has already built a vital service that tens of thousands of stores rely on every day. However, we have still only built <1% of our roadmap -- to build the rest, we need a world-class engineering and design team.
What sets us apart?
Our engineers know both "what" to build, and "how" to build it. At Tajir, engineers not only write code but also talk to customers, propose features, make product decisions, and solve complex operations challenges. Engineers stand at the vanguard of most major company initiatives.
We value humility above all else. We have no tolerance for inflated egos. Instead, we love working with humble engineers who understand they have lots to learn from their teammates.
We seek strong generalists, not framework/language specialists. We don't seek "MERN", "Django", or "Laravel" engineers. Instead, we seek engineers with strong software engineering foundations who pick the right tool/language for the job and understand how networking, operating systems etc. work under the hood.
- Build and maintain data pipelines that form the lifeblood of the company.
- Ensure persistent data storage scales to meet our demands.
- Contribute to a highly usable, maintainable schema design.
- Build machine learning models to power product recommendations.
- Help assess, recruit, and mentor future data engineers.
- 3+ years as a data scientist, data engineer, or software engineer working closely with SQL databases.
- 3+ years experience with SQL-based relational databases.
- Experience with cloud based infrastructure like AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Understanding of row stores vs column stores, and optimal schema design for transactional workloads vs analytical workloads.
- Bonus, but not required: Python experience.
Our tech stack
Our Android app is built with Java and Kotlin using an MVVM Clean architecture. Our back end is built primarily with Python and Flask, and deployed to Google Cloud via Docker. Our data is primarily persisted by PostgreSQL.